586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > New to the CNC game and having issues

New to the CNC game and having issues

First post here so go easy. Recently purchased a cnc router from probotix. The cnc system is ran off of linux. Ive done some preliminary reading on other posts with similar issues and have tried to do the same. Added 2 different post processes for the M_EMCM02 and the M_EMC_2_04JUN12_V12. When saving the post process to the M_EMC.ppr and taking it over to the linux software it doesnt seem to work. Added the .ngc to the file extension portion and it will open it in linux now but with errors of "parsing" or "unknown control command in o word". Im not too familiar with the CNC G code language yet but slowly picking it up. Not even too sure Im setting up the Dolphin CAM commands correctly either but when you run the commands it looks like what ive asked it to do. Ive been using AutoCad for many years now and dolphin cad/cam has been a easy transition so far. Just go this last few hurdles to get over. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: New to the CNC game and having issues

If you are doing basic stuff, then a generic fanuc or mach3 post will usually work just fine with linuxcnc.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    If you are doing basic stuff, then a generic fanuc or mach3 post will usually work just fine with linuxcnc.
    Thanks for the reply. Ill give that a try. Starting out with simple ideas for now.

with autocad experience you could try fusion360..

Well after many hours i was cutting parts yesterday. The tutorial videos mentioned saving cad dxf's in R12 format and that was the main issue. Saved them in 2004 format and worked. Other issue i was having was when i set the spindle speed with DCAM it would show up in asterisks in the gcode causing issues. I understand its not setup for routers but doent know why it does that. Either way got it to work. Thanks for the replys.

I know this is an old thread - but I just converted my CNC Router from Mach3 on Windows to LinuxCNC. Some other threads talk about using 'EMC2' (there is a discussion about using it for lathes) but I can't find any listed post processors that include the letters 'LinuxCNC' or 'EMC'. One Post in this thread stated that for 'basic' stuff - Fanuc or Mach3... what about 'complex' cuts?

Arden

Quote Originally Posted by irwinger View Post
    I know this is an old thread - but I just converted my CNC Router from Mach3 on Windows to LinuxCNC. Some other threads talk about using 'EMC2' (there is a discussion about using it for lathes) but I can't find any listed post processors that include the letters 'LinuxCNC' or 'EMC'. One Post in this thread stated that for 'basic' stuff - Fanuc or Mach3... what about 'complex' cuts?

Arden
    I'm not sure what all this BS advice about using Mach3 posts is...LOL!!

Anyway, LinuxCNC totally kicks ass, so good move! You really should talk to Dolphin about such matters and they are really good guys at customising posts and fixing issues.

I strongly suggest -
    Mill: M_EMC_2_16Apr2014
    Lathe: T_EMC_FTurret_V13_15Dec15

@FastFarmer - I must confess... Dolphin has been far less than stellar in answering ANY questions here in the forum or by direct email. In fact - now that I know I have to 'pay' for their 3D upgrade, Dolphin will be added to my list of bad financial decisions and scrapped in favor of the EVER so inexpensive options like HeeksCAD ($20) and ESTLCAM (I think about the same price). I have tried really hard to not say anything particularly inflammatory or negative about Dolphin in this forum - always holding on for that possibility that maybe I'm just not 'getting it'. But after my last attempt to do a cut and leave holding tabs that required I route through a percentage of an arch and do this numerous times... I gave up.

You want quick, simple and inexpensive 3D contouring? buy Dan Heeks HeeksCAD for $20. He's a one-man show in England who answers his emails on Christmas Eve. That guy is ACES in my books. I'm going to do whatever I can to help him. And the BEST part is - he uses the same 3D imaging / drawing libraries for his little application that Dolphin V13 does... except I can contour with his and Dolphin can't.

So there you go... I've now just dis'd Dolphin and effectively cut off ANY kind of support I might have had access to... oh well - I've been stewing and grumbling about this software since I bought it.

Arden

@FastFarmer - I must confess... Dolphin has been far less than stellar in answering ANY questions here in the forum or by direct email. In fact - now that I know I have to 'pay' for their 3D upgrade, Dolphin will be added to my list of bad financial decisions and scrapped in favor of the EVER so inexpensive options like HeeksCAD ($20) and ESTLCAM (I think about the same price). I have tried really hard to not say anything particularly inflammatory or negative about Dolphin in this forum - always holding on for that possibility that maybe I'm just not 'getting it'. But after my last attempt to do a cut and leave holding tabs that required I route through a percentage of an arch and do this numerous times... I gave up.

You want quick, simple and inexpensive 3D contouring? buy Dan Heeks HeeksCAD for $20. He's a one-man show in England who answers his emails on Christmas Eve. That guy is ACES in my books. I'm going to do whatever I can to help him. And the BEST part is - he uses the same 3D imaging / drawing libraries for his little application that Dolphin V13 does... except I can contour with his and Dolphin can't.

So there you go... I've now just dis'd Dolphin and effectively cut off ANY kind of support I might have had access to... oh well - I've been stewing and grumbling about this software since I bought it.

Arden
    OMG!!!! I just bought Heeks to check out your highly unlikely story. You can see the difference in the attached.

Dolphin on the left and Heeks on the right. I'm gobslmaked!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dolphin.jpg   Dolphin2.jpg  

Arden
    LinuxCNC used to be called EMC or EMC2.

I think it stood for Enhanced Machine Controller. Old post processors referring to EMC should still work for LinuxCNC, maybe with minor changes.

What post processor you require depends on the CAM program you are using. If there isn't one specifically for linuxcnc/EMC, a Fanuc post usually works for basic gcode.

What CAM are you using? Someone may already have modified a post to work with linuxcnc.

FastFarmer - your post says it all - the truth is in the compared images... and I have to say - you made remarkable progress in just one day... it took me WEEKS and a couple emails to Dan Heeks to get where you did. I'm sticking with Heeks... it seems a bit 'primitive' to actually draw anything - but it sure does create good toolpaths!!

Arden

FastFarmer - your post says it all - the truth is in the compared images... and I have to say - you made remarkable progress in just one day... it took me WEEKS and a couple emails to Dan Heeks to get where you did. I'm sticking with Heeks... it seems a bit 'primitive' to actually draw anything - but it sure does create good toolpaths!
    Arden
    Hi Arden,
    I have been on Dolphin sometime and own 3 licences, so perhaps that means I get a bit more attention. I have grown to love there lathe software (but the mill software has also done some very good work for us). I love the process control partmaster CAM gives you, but there CAD is totally hopeless. For someone who works in solids, PM3D was a great addition.

I evaluated 3DCAM but declined to upgrade only as our current 3D CAM software already does all (and more) it offers and we have already invested in that; so there was only disadvantage to us changing. There are issues with 3DCAM and lack of some functions, but for the hobby guy Heeks is amazing value!

Even though I was shocked by your post, I think it's all still a good thing buying Dolphin because they will hopefully put some payed resources behind it and develop it into a very powerful and leading package. In comparison to Heeks they have already made it a little bit more refined and user friendly.
    Cheers