586,036 active members*
3,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 10 678910
    As LeeWay also asked, what driver do you intend to use, and how do you control it from Mach3 (if that is what you are going to use)

Hello, I have just seen this project. Do you have more pictures or information on the turret? I am specially interested in the system that keeps a very rigid position while permitting changing stations (as most of the lathe turrets are). I never saw any disassembled though.

I plan to use granite devices servo driver for the spindle. ( http://www.granitedevices.fi/index.p...rvo-drive-vsda ) No idea yet how to connect it to mach, but will find out when making electronics.

The orginal plans had two plates with eight milled slots with sloped sides to lock them in place. I have been thinking if i will go that way, or go with hardened pins and reamed holes. Any opinions?

What about the movement of the turret? Stepper motors?

Granite devices accept puls direction, just hook it up as a stepper and config in mach3.

free end support?

JH-Q,

I was looking at your design/ partially completed lathe and I noticed that the Y axis ballscrew (the huge one) has a fixed end (with angular contact bearings) but no free end support. On your shorter x axis, you did include this support. Why did you decide not to use one for the y axis screw?

Quote Originally Posted by JH-Q View Post
    Just one more thing to add, i fount the plans for the tool changer at a german website where they are avaitable for download: http://www.cnc-projects.de/
    JH-Q that is a great find . I wish I could speak german, awesome machines that guy built!!!

I can't remember why i put end bearing on X axis ballscrew... maybe because the driven end bearing is attached on the carriage with just two M5 screws. If the assembly binds too much, i might remove the end bearing.

This time with lots of pictures as requested...

Obviously, my slitting saw holder wasn't running true so it grabbed...

So i hacksawed it half, and cleaned with face mill.

I fount these tool holders from school, being thrown away. They are too big for my small manual lathe, and this cnc project already has a turret. So i will save them for later on if i buy bigger lathe, or if i don't, i could sell them

I have been thinking about getting this universal milling machine.. might get it for 500€ including shaper attachment!

Beautiful piece of work you have done so far!

Looks like the same tool holders we are using at my school. And is that a Pedersen mill? Thats cheap.

Simply amazing! I will be watching this thread from now on!
    I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause i don't like you cause you are not like me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blight View Post
    Beautiful piece of work you have done so far!

Looks like the same tool holders we are using at my school. And is that a Pedersen mill? Thats cheap.
    definitly cheap
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

More pictures i say...more!

Nice work.
    One quest though: how du you keep alignment of the rotation axis relative to the linear bearings? Can you adjust the location of the chuck bearings? Or can you just put stuff together and measure the errors later and then adjust for them in software? How is this done in industry machines (probably there is not just one answer here.. but some common methodology perhaps)?

Wow, that looks amazing! Keep up the good work, and please keep posting more pics!

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Nice work.
    One quest though: how du you keep alignment of the rotation axis relative to the linear bearings? Can you adjust the location of the chuck bearings? Or can you just put stuff together and measure the errors later and then adjust for them in software? How is this done in industry machines (probably there is not just one answer here.. but some common methodology perhaps)?
    The headstock is bolted to the lathe body, and the bolt holes are drilled 1mm bigger than the bolts are. I think i'll adjust Z-rails true, chuck some ground rod on the chuck and adjust with dial indicator. I think this is the way industrial machines are made, though they use test bars on spindle taper (which i don't have)

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    It is Jafo Jarocin, made in Poland. It has 850x280x430 XYZ and weights 2200kgs.

[QUOTE=JH-Q;431781]The headstock is bolted to the lathe body, and the bolt holes are drilled 1mm bigger than the bolts are. I think i'll adjust Z-rails true, chuck some ground rod on the chuck and adjust with dial indicator. I think this is the way industrial machines are made, though they use test bars on spindle taper (which i don't have)

I suspected something like this for lateral misalignment. But what if the headstock is pointing "upwards"? Shims the headstock? What tolerances are you aiming for with the finished lathe?

Up and Down angular error in the spindle produces a nonlinear error in work diameter. So even a pretty severe misalignment would only produce a VERY small diameter error on normal size stock. Small diameter work would require more accurate headstock alignment. For example, a 0.1" centerline drop on 2" diameter round stock increases the diameter of the work by only 0.010". That's a 10:1 difference. A 0.050" drop increases the work diameter by 0.002". This is assuming the tool starts off exactly on the center-line, being a little off center will make the effect slightly worse and depending on the direction of tilt will increase or decrease the part diameter

If the spindle housing points upwards or downwards, i'll shim it as precise as i can, maybe 0.05-0.1mm is enough. I'll be happy if this lathe can produce 0.01-0.02mm tolerances in diameter.

Love the work so far, the pics were worth the wait!!!
    On the other hand, You have different fingers.

Any update on the project?

Page 8 of 10 678910