586,117 active members*
3,552 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Ethernet Smooth Stepper Too Sensitive? Throwing Stop errors?
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Ethernet Smooth Stepper Too Sensitive? Throwing Stop errors?

I had another 'external e-stop' message today while drilling some aluminum.

I'm going to try the capacitor as Davy suggested. Here is a pic of the ferrite cores which didn't seem to prevent the problem.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433903833.953985.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	282740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433903845.607268.jpg 
Size:	328.1 KB 
ID:	282742

.01 sounds right

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    I had another 'external e-stop' message today while drilling some aluminum.

I'm going to try the capacitor as Davy suggested. Here is a pic of the ferrite cores which didn't seem to prevent the problem.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433903833.953985.jpg 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	282740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433903845.607268.jpg 
Size:	328.1 KB 
ID:	282742
    Try disconnect the estop cables from the bob completely and see if that solves your problem. If not you probably have problems with something else. For me it does not matter if I have the estop plugged in or not. Still triggers sporadically.

A cap will work. But if you use Mach3 as the controller you simply set the debounce setting (adjustable) for the exact same effect. It will filter out short pulses.
    Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Quote Originally Posted by hub View Post
    A cap will work. But if you use Mach3 as the controller you simply set the debounce setting (adjustable) for the exact same effect. It will filter out short pulses.
    I use Ethernet Smooth Stepper - so the debounce in Mach doesn't do anything. There is a noise filtering line in the ESS settings, but I haven't had success with that - but maybe I don't know how to set it properly too.

I use Ethernet Smooth Stepper - so the debounce in Mach doesn't do anything. There is a noise filtering line in the ESS settings, but I haven't had success with that - but maybe I don't know how to set it properly too.
    Ok, I personally would then use a schmitt trigger (have used many times for sensitive inputs, works great). The cap should also work as it won't discharge fast.

Schmitt trigger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

I had a similar issue on my ESS but it was with the PROBE signal for my TLO touch plate. Try setting the debounce in the ESS plugin to 50ms for the offending channel and it should go away.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
    I had a similar issue on my ESS but it was with the PROBE signal for my TLO touch plate. Try setting the debounce in the ESS plugin to 50ms for the offending channel and it should go away.
    Interesting. I had tried a couple ms in ESS but still had the issue. I will try 50ms

Interesting. I had tried a couple ms in ESS but still had the issue. I will try 50ms
    brianbonedoc, did you finally get the random E-stop problem resolved? If so which fix or combination of fixes worked for you?

CJ

Yeah I switched to pathpilot and a Mesa card and am happy.

Thanks for the input. I'm having similar random e-stop problems.

CJ

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

Cj - actually I forgot but I was getting swarf on the y axis limit switch that would trigger an estop - even w aluminum! I covered the limit switch w a plastic cover that keeps the swarf a little off the switch and that decreased the estops

Have you tried simply putting small capacitors (0.01-0.1uF is good) on the E-Stop and Home/Limit inputs? That will filter out any noise, with no ill effect on any other aspect of performance.

The inductive limit switches ARE prone to false triggers, even when milling aluminum. Novakon has, at some point in the last year or two, re-designed the limit switch mounts to at least mitigate this problem. On the earlier machines, like mine, those switches are a problem. I removed my X/Y inductive limits very early on due to the false triggers.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray - good point. I think you suggested I do that as well. That filter cap worked great on my grizzly cnc lathe that was throwing e-stops left and right. I put a scope on the signal and it looked like a v-tach (for those medical folks) before the cap - an afterwards a nice square wave when the input was triggered.

Ray correct me if I am wrong but depending on the input you may have to put the cap across the input and GND VS the input and V+ (depending on if it's a high/low input).

Ray - good point. I think you suggested I do that as well. That filter cap worked great on my grizzly cnc lathe that was throwing e-stops left and right. I put a scope on the signal and it looked like a v-tach (for those medical folks) before the cap - an afterwards a nice square wave when the input was triggered.

Ray correct me if I am wrong but depending on the input you may have to put the cap across the input and GND VS the input and V+ (depending on if it's a high/low input).
    Between input and ground is best, since the home/limit sensors are normally open inputs - they are normally HIGH, and go LOW when a limit is hit. You just need a cap on any one of them, since they're all wire-ORed on the BOB.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I had that problem on my Torus as well.
    I just turned them off on it.
    Lee

I also was plagued with random estops on my Torus pro. The problems mostly originated from the limit switches. I was also getting some from the power draw bar. As a temporary solution I disabled the limit switches in Mach 3 I only used them for homing. This got rid of most of the problem.

The final solution was to replace the VFD. It seems it was the source of the problem. I have not been running the mill a lot lately but I have not had an estop error in months. Going from memory but the original VFD was a Sunfar 550 and the replacement one is a Automation Direct GS2.

Page 2 of 2 12