586,061 active members*
4,529 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal VMC4020 spindle not working

Unhappy Fadal VMC4020 spindle not working

Hi Guys,
    I have a problem with my Fadal VMC4020 spindle 10k rpm.
    It worked fine till Friday and now in Monday morning after machine start it does not run with M3/M4 command.
    It runs manually with command from the servo motor amplifier. It also moves with M19 to turn in position. But when you set S600 for example and start with M3/M4 it doen't move at all. The whole CPU freezes.
    No warning or error messages on amplifier. No error messages on panel. Just freezes, keyboard not working and you must restart the machine to get it back in operation.
    It seems that it receives the M command but the CPU waits for feedback signal, it never receives it and freezes.
    I also have one VMC15, which is now working fine so I tried to change the signal board but the result was the same. Both boards work on the VMC15 so for me it looks like some kind of software problem.
    If anybody know what I can do in this situation please help.

Re: Fadal VMC4020 spindle not working

I would try downloading your parameters or writing them down (as well as pitch comp) and re-initializing your memory. An error with the drive would show a fault. An error in the software *could cause a lock up as well as a bad board.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    I would try downloading your parameters or writing them down (as well as pitch comp) and re-initializing your memory. An error with the drive would show a fault. An error in the software *could cause a lock up as well as a bad board.
    I actually fiund the problem. It is a board on slot 17 called 1040-2A. I have exchange it with 1040-2B from my VMC15 and now the VMC4020 is working fine. I've sent the 1040-2A board for repair.
    This board is responsible for sending the signal for spindle to start. It seems that some EPROM is faulty.
    I also thought first that I need to make memory reset but I read in in documentation about this board and it looked very likely to have a problem with it.
    I hope this tread to be helpful to somebody with similar problem.
    Thank you guys!