586,117 active members*
3,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I need some help.

Hello everyone, I have been learning/playing with BobCad-Cam software. I feel as though I am ready to hook it up to the CNC mill's and try my hand at them. Anyway there is a guy at work that uses Virtual Gibbs on his computer and doesnt want anyone using his software or computer to program the CNC's. So anyway I now have BobCad-Cam on my own computer and want to take it in and hook it up to the four CNC's at work. The way the guy at work has his computer set up is it runs parallel ports from his computer to a switch box and then to the four cnc mills. Is there anyway I can hook up my computer and my own switch box to the four cnc mills? I am trying to take the next step into my CNC knowledge. Maybe I could run a splitter, I wanna make it so it doesnt interupt his computer and the mills. Thanks in advance.

I don't know what kind of CNC mills you have, but I doub't that they communicate via parallel port. Most CNC's communicate by RS-232 Serial. Some now have USB ports, and some Fanuc's have PCMCIA slots.

You can run a serial cable from your pc to a switchbox and then to the CNC's, but you'll have to unplug his cables. Maybe you can unplug the cable to the switchbox from his PC and plug it into the serial port on your PC when he's not looking.

I want to make it so he can get still program the CNC's with his computer and then so could I. Maybe they make a splitter I could run from where it goes from his PC to the switch box then have my pc on the splitter going into the switch box? Ohh and yea Im not sure what kind of ports they are. They are three Fadal CNC's and one HAAS cnc mill. One of the Fadal's has a Fanuc control if it matters. Does any one know how I can do this? Thanks in advance.

You can put a 2-way switch box between the existing switch box and your 2 pc's. I'm sure they're RS-232 serial ports, NOT parallel. You'll need to buy or make a cable that duplicates the cable from his PC to the existing switchbox. You'll also need a straight-thru cable from the new switchbox to the existing one. Finally, you'll need to configure your communications program to match the settings (baud rate, parity, data bits, stop bits, handshake, etc.)

Okay so I have some pictures i took of the setup so I can better show you guys what I am talking about.
    Pic 1:This is a picture of the switch box to the CNC's

Pic 2:This is where the switch box goes into the back of his computer.

Pic 3:Another picture of where it plugs into the back of his computer

Pic 4:This is the the pin connector on the back of his computer

Pic 5: The connector that plugs into the back of the computer

Pic 6: This is the connector that plugs into the back of the switch box this connector is labeled I/O and it goes to the 9-pin reducer in the back of his computer.

So I was thinking if I ran a splitter of of the I/O on the switch box then plugged his computer into one side of the splitter and my computer into the back of the splitter we would box be able to program the CnC's. Let me know what you guys think. The guy doesnt want me using his computer which is fine with me since he uses windows 98 platform and its an OLD slow computer I would rather use my own with my own software. Ohh and yes dcoupar you are correct I did some research these are RS-232 cables. Thanks

Can you find out how the cable from his PC to the 4-way switch is wired? You can check it with an ohmmeter or take the hoods off and look. If it's wired straight through, than it should be easier (you can buy these off the shelf). If it's custom, then you may have to make another just like it.

Does your computer have a serial port (9-pin male) like his?

On the back of my computer I have two 9 pin connectors that came with the computer from the manufacturer. They are labeled IOIOIOIO. I also have a printer for with 25 pin connector. His computer just has the 9 pin connector with a adaptor to 25 pin that goes straight to the switch box. I wonder if I bought the adaptor plugged it to my 9 pin IOIOIOIO port on my computer then run a 25 pin cable from that adaptor to a 25pin splitter if that would work?