The company I work for has 2 Hardinge lathes. Both are CHNC styles. I think the other one is a 2 model. Both have 2 different bar feeders. The second machine is down until I get it going. But back to the machine in question. I got the CHNC 1 to run, transfer programs andeverything else they couldn't figure out in the last 10 years here. However,now I am trying to run a bar feed program. (Before it's asked, hand feeding is not a good option as per run time and how small these parts are.) I have asample program to run from our "Experts" that run a big company inseveral locations and it is of no help. The things I see online all say thesame things. So I assume something is wrong with our bar feeder, the machine orflat out we can’t use the bar feeder.

Machine: Hardinge CHNC1
Control Panel: GE Fanuc OT-C
Bar Feeder: Hardinge Bar Feeder (as of now I have no clue on the model number or anything. We have a manual for a HF-4R, but Ithink that is the other bar feeder. Again these are two different models. If Iwas to guess on the serial number, this is a HF-FR6)

The bar feeder is a hydraulic bar feeder. There is a lever to feed, retract, orbe is a neutral state. I have tried leaving it in feed, then tried leaving itin neutral. Same result. I have tried programming this different ways andeverything does the same. We don’t have a direct manual for our machine, but weuse the manual for the Quest models. Our “Experts” tell us it is the samemanual… The sample code says to use M61 for bar feed. The manual says the M61is for “End of Bar Signal.” Which means it should be checking for the end ofthe bar. In which you use a sub program to run the bar feed, but in the mainprogram you use the M61 to tell the machine what to do if it recognizes an endof bar signal. This is another assumption of mine. But when I try using that ortaking it out of the program, I still get this end result:

N*** M21;

(Collet opens, then the programs just hangs indefinitely)

I can’t get it to finish the program, to feed or move the turret, to close the collet, or anything. Of course I have a different view on this situation than the maintenance people, but I want to see if anyone out there has this setup or can help me solve the problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You.