586,062 active members*
4,524 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > New air compressor recommendation
Page 1 of 2 12

New air compressor recommendation

I just got an ATC, so now I am using the ATC, power drawbar, and fog buster. My current compressor would be fine for power drawbar and fog buster, but with the ATC and the walk away factor, I am pretty sure I need a new air compressor to not risk not having enough air for something mid operation.

I don't have the space to put a big monster somewhere out of the way to not hear it, so I was thinking of the California air 1020D because it is powerful and very fast, not a huge tank at 10 gallons, but I can manage its space, and it won't make me crazy with the noise, but its not cheap at all.

Can anyone who uses the ATC and fog buster give me some recommendations based on what you use?

Re: New air compressor recommendation

I got the model without the dryer and it's great. Although I suspect it'll be fine, I can't be sure it'll run all three things at once...

If you do decide that's the one you want...
    When I bought mine, Wayfair.com had a deal where they'd send you a 10% off coupon for signing up for their spam email list. It's not clear if that deal is still going, but it might be worth a shot. That was the best deal I could find at the time, still might be.

I'll have to check that deal out, thanks.

So you have the 10020? Is that as quiet as they show on the video?

Also, for the non dryer, do you have to drain the water from the dank each time you use it to prevent rust?

What is your current tank size?
    I would see how the current compressor works. If it is not enough, you could probably get away with make-up tanks, using propane tanks from the dump, or an old compressor tank.
    What's nice about this is tank size can in many cases compensate for compressor size, AND the compressor won't cycle so often.
    I have numerous make-up tanks, and valve them in as I need them. Base compressor is a Husky 26 gal, works great.

My current tank is 4.6 gallons, I use the GMC Cyclone that Tormach sells. With just the power drawbar and no ATC and no fog buster, I would get about 7-8 tool changes before it had to recycle, which took maybe a minute or so. So I am pretty sure that with the fog buster, and the ATC I will run into problems. I really don't have the space for a bunch of make-up tanks, maybe one but that would be about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AVRnj View Post
    I just got an ATC, so now I am using the ATC, power drawbar, and fog buster. My current compressor would be fine for power drawbar and fog buster, but with the ATC and the walk away factor, I am pretty sure I need a new air compressor to not risk not having enough air for something mid operation.

I don't have the space to put a big monster somewhere out of the way to not hear it, so I was thinking of the California air 1020D because it is powerful and very fast, not a huge tank at 10 gallons, but I can manage its space, and it won't make me crazy with the noise, but its not cheap at all.

Can anyone who uses the ATC and fog buster give me some recommendations based on what you use?
    The ATC uses very little air - just a low-ish flow, for a brief buration, with very low total volume. And, at a very long interval between uses. The FogBuster requires orders of magnitude more, both in flow, and duration. So, if you're working ok with the FogBuster and PDB, there's no reason the ATC would not work just fine, unless the FogBuster, after extended use, is leaving the pressure in the tank below the minimum threshold required by the ATC.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    The ATC uses very little air - just a low-ish flow, for a brief buration, with very low total volume. And, at a very long interval between uses. The FogBuster requires orders of magnitude more, both in flow, and duration. So, if you're working ok with the FogBuster and PDB, there's no reason the ATC would not work just fine, unless the FogBuster, after extended use, is leaving the pressure in the tank below the minimum threshold required by the ATC.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    I just got the fog buster and the ATC, so really I have only used the power drawbar with the current compressor. I am pretty sure the fog buster will make it unusable with the ATC, not necessarily because of how much air the ATC will take up, but the fact that it could very well be recycling because of the fog buster while going to make a tool change, which I am assuming would cause a crash.

I'll have to check that deal out, thanks.

So you have the 10020? Is that as quiet as they show on the video?

Also, for the non dryer, do you have to drain the water from the dank each time you use it to prevent rust?
    Sorry, I tried to reply earlier, but the site wasn't cooperating.

It's probably the 10020, I don't recall really. I have the one that has the 10 gallon tank, two pistons, runs off 120V, and has a built-in regulator and two quick disconnect fittings.

It IS quietER than other oilless piston compressors I've heard. Not only is it quieter, the sound it makes is... well, "more pleasant" isn't quite right... The sound it makes is less jarring. I think it might be deeper, like it's being muffled better.

That said, it's definitely not "quiet" by any means. It's loud, and as someone who has stood right next to one running for quite a while, I'd suggest picking up some hearing protection if you're going to be doing the same.

Perhaps it's the dry air here or something, but I must have neglected to empty the drain valve for more than a year (possibly two) and when I finally did, I don't think even a cup came out. I also wasn't running it day-in and day-out though, the longest it would run would be for maybe 5 hours at a time (~50% on ~50% off (because I was using a 2-nozzle Fog Buster)) two or three days a week.

My current tank is 4.6 gallons, I use the GMC Cyclone that Tormach sells. With just the power drawbar and no ATC and no fog buster, I would get about 7-8 tool changes before it had to recycle, which took maybe a minute or so. So I am pretty sure that with the fog buster, and the ATC I will run into problems. I really don't have the space for a bunch of make-up tanks, maybe one but that would be about it.
    I think SCzEngrgGroup is probably right about the ATC needing very little air. Also, I've always thought those GMC compressors looked similar to California Air's. This website (AIR COMPRESSORS | GMC Generators) says they're both made by California Air. I wouldn't be surprised if they sound identical.

You might be fine with what you have. What pressure does the ATC need and at what pressure does your current compressor kick on?

... actually, now that I think about it a little more... Since Tormach sells the Fog Buster, the PDB, the ATC, and the compressure you have, getting a definitive answer as to whether the compressor they sell is adequate to run all the accessories they sell might be just a phone call away.

I kind of figured the CAT was making the GMC Syclone, they look identical. Regarding the noise, I would describe mine pretty much identically to the way you describe yours.

I did give Tormach a call and they agreed that the fog buster in combo with the power drawbar and ATC would be too much for the compressor I have.

Regarding the ATC, I think the ATC need is not the problem, I think its the power drawbar. I think the power drawbar needs at least 100, and mine kicks off around 85 or so, and I cannot figure out how to adjust it up to the 100.

I have also been thinking of getting a second compressor, one for the ATC and power drawbar, and one for the fog buster. Problem there is I don't really have enough outlets to separate the compressor from the Tormach's 110 and use another outlet for 110, and that concerns me a bit.

That is very interesting about your tank being dry. My Syclone needs to be drained every time I use it, water comes out every single time, and its usually rusty, which I don't love.

I have a regulator between my compressor and the ATC/power drawbar, so I am not concerned about the dryer as much for dry air, but more for the hassle of draining the tank every use.

What's really needed is some DATA. Tormach "thinks" the three are too much. Others do too, some don't (though I agree with Ray L- probably not a problem). Most of us know what our compressors do, and at that point it's a matter of adding up the loads, plus a safety factor. What we don't know is the loads.

Fogbuster says they need 10-20 PSI, unknown (or at least, not easily found CFM). For reference, my Trico MD1200 uses around 1.7 CFM at 80 psi, and the Noga misters I use run around 1.2 cfm at 80 psi. Per nozzle, so double that. Call it 4 cfm at 90. Both the ATC and the PDB seem to need 90 psi, but low and intermittent volume. The PDB in particular is a small load, maybe the ATC is not so small- but it's not a Fogbuster. If your compressor cycles between 95 and 115 (Tormach's preferred unit) and has a 10 gallon reservoir, I just can't see any problem running the ATC and PDB off line pressure while running the Fogbuster at 15 psi with an estimated load of up to 15-20 cfm.

There is a way to get the data. Fill a tank up, note pressure, operate device, note delta P, and apply the gas laws. Repeat a few times to get average data. (Don't refill the tank in the interim). I don't have either pneumatic ATC or PDB, or I'd do it...but having that information would sure make deciding to spend another 500-1K on a new compressor a lot easier decision.

You can get a sensor for the ATC that stops if air pressure is too low.

I got my first compressor from Home Depot. It was a 2 HP compressor with a 30 gallon tank. It was about $450.00 on sale.

That worked great for about 2 years when I hit on a good job that made enough money for me to buy a Kaeser screw compressor. THAT is a cool compressor. It's a 3 1/2 HP compressor and it's so quiet I can sit down next to it while it's running and talk on the phone.

It sits on top of a 60 gallon tank, and when it starts it will run for less than 2 minutes to fill the tank.The ONLY problem with this compressor was the price. The compressor was $3,500.00 and the 60 gallon tank was close to $300.00. BUT, the neighbors din't complain on the rare night when I can't sleep and I'm out in my garage till 2:00 AM.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I have pdb and tormach fog buster installed with a similar noise maker that compresses air also. I would think you could get them all adjusted to work together, BUT! Two things come to mind. First one is I keep pdb adjusted at the high end of the air compressors cycle "near its max pressure" I know that if compressor is running the pdb will not have enough pressure to release tool. You can of course adjust the draw bar down to the low end of the cycle pressure and this might even be required for a atc application. Number two is drilling operations with fog buster require the most attention and the compressor is always cycling because of required volume. This could cause the pdb to not release tool for atc and problems this causes "tormach sells a low psi sensor to mitigate this". I also have a 3 gal tank for extra volume and this helps prolong the cycle times, in the end it has to cycle and fill it also and I see little difference "it still has to run and fill tanks and provide cfm at x psi you require.

Everyone, thanks for the input. I do have the ATC pressure sensor, but I was under the impression that only prevented the carousel from turning, or the ATC from sliding if the PSI was below 95. I have my power drawbar to require north of 100, and would rather not loosen it. I am still undecided on what I will get. I am inclined to get a cheap 60 gallon tank compressor from home depot or lower, and fill it before I go into the shop, and it should be more than enough for the ATC/power drawbar jobs I do, and then use the current smaller one for the fog buster. Still trying to decide. The feedback is helpful.

If I were to be buying a new compressor, I wouldn't look at anything but a Kaiser. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by greggv View Post
    If I were to be buying a new compressor, I wouldn't look at anything but a Kaiser. Seriously.
    I'd love a Kaiser, but they are really expensive from what I am seeing. Like the cost of an ATC expensive.

You need quiet?

1. Buy a Qunicy (traditional reciprocating). Good, quality American built with a quality 1800 rpm Baldor motor on it.
    2. Build a lean too outside and mount the compressor outside your shop/garage....
    3. Use the $9000 you saved to buy some more machine tools... A 5HP Kaiser runs $10.5k. A 5HP Quincy will run you $1.4k.

Maybe it doesn't make you neighbors happy, but it will make you happy.

Personally, I live with the 5HP Quincy in the corner of my garage. The noise isn't that bad, and it only takes a minute or two to fill the tank when it cycles. 15cfm at 150# will handle anything you throw at it. One of these days I will get motivated and build a sound enclosure around it and a through-wall intake. Actually, I am lying, I will probably just live with it 'cause I have dozens of projects higher up on the list.

If you just can't live without a screw compressor, Quincy makes a 5HP model that runs $4k.

If you can afford a Kaiser, than you probably should have a Haas in your shop to go with it, instead of a Tormach.

Back to the OP: my Quincy has a 30 gallon tank so it is relatively compact, sits in the corner underneath a shelf. 5HP was important to me as it is enough to drive just about anything you throw at it: pneumatic tools, plasma torch, sand blaster, etc.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

My 5hp quincy still makes me jump when it kicks on while I am watching my machine run.... But I am happy with it, and I have yet to find my self ever needing more air then it can deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Back to the OP: my Quincy has a 30HP tank so it is relatively compact, sits in the corner underneath a shelf. 5HP was important to me as it is enough to drive just about anything you throw at it: pneumatic tools, plasma torch, sand blaster, etc.
    That must be quite a tank - I've never seen one rated in horsepower before

Page 1 of 2 12