586,094 active members*
3,879 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Multicam Machines > Multicam and using multiple tools without an ATC.

Multicam and using multiple tools without an ATC.

I just acquired my first Multicam. Its a MG204. I'm slowly learning my way around the machine. What has me stumped is using multiple tools. I put an HSD cat30 10hp spindle on the carriage. I had hoped to just do manual tool changes. I'd put a rack ATC but the X axis is not long enough to accommodate it without giving up process area.

I assumed Multicam would be like AXYZ or Centroid or Mach3. You could qualify multiple tools before you ran a job. When the new tool came up in the G-code, the machine would stop and ask for the tool. You'd pop in the new toolholder and tool and away you go without having to qualify the tool length.

I'm sure I could write my post processor to stop and ask for the tool when it's needed. I just can't find a way to qualify tools without an ATC.

With the AXYZ machines I had, you could qualify up to 16 tools -- forgotten at shut down but still quite useful. With Centroid, it would remember the tool data indefinitely. You could store hundreds off tool measurements.

Is there a way for the Multicam OS to store tool lengths without an ATC. If it does, does it stay stored in the memory after a shutdown.

Thanks for your help.

Richard Rew

Re: Multicam and using multiple tools without an ATC.

You could go into the flash and put in the length into the parameters 730-739, you could put the viable here and yes it does hold the value when you turn off the machine.

Re: Multicam and using multiple tools without an ATC.

I'll take a look at that tomorrow.

I've read many of your posts.

Thanks for your generosity.

Rich