586,112 active members*
3,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking reprap project

Check out this website at http://reprap.org/
    RepRap is short for Replicating Rapid Prototyper.

A rapid prototyper is a machine that can manufacture objects directly (usually, though not necessarily, in plastic) under the control of a computer.

The project described in these pages is working towards creating a universal constructor by using rapid prototyping, and then giving the results away free under the GNU General Public Licence to allow other investigators to work on the same idea. We are trying to prove the hypothesis: Rapid prototyping and direct writing technologies are sufficiently versatile to allow them to be used to make a von Neumann Universal Constructor.

Note this looks like a fun project just thought some people here would like to check it out.

Doug...

I am looking at the free Software "Art of Illusion" mentioned on the Reprap website.

http://www.artofillusion.org/index

My question to the software guru's is:
    "What do you think of using this software to create designs and then converting it in a program like MeshCam to create 3D g-code?"

Jerry

Not to be a shill or anything, but for $300 you can do that with Vectric Cut3d. The pictures on their website tell the story. It'll take in standard 3D models and output G-code for machining on multiple sides. Seems pretty cool although I haven't tried it personally (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by ostranenie View Post
    Not to be a shill or anything, but for $300 you can do that with Vectric Cut3d. The pictures on their website tell the story. It'll take in standard 3D models and output G-code for machining on multiple sides. Seems pretty cool although I haven't tried it personally (yet).
    I don't think you looked at the reprap site close enough. There is a big difference between cut3d and the reprap. The reprap takes liquid plastic and builds parts, unlike what a cnc mill or router does, which is take pieces of solid material and cut away material until the shape is created. Cut3d is designed to work on mills/routers.

Another way to think of the raprap is as a 3d printer.

Wade

i have wanted to try and build one now but i have not had the money nor time to invest in it at the current moment. if anyone has let me know i would love to hear what it is like.
    I'm young and I'm just trying to learn from people that know.