586,108 active members*
2,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Spindle Alignment issue leads to misaligned tool change

Spindle Alignment issue leads to misaligned tool change

Hello,

I have a Cincinnati Sabre 1250 (1995, I think). My issue is that my spindlewill not align to do a tool change after the machine has been in use for ashort period of time. The spindle works fine on start up and for severalminutes after warm up but eventually gets further and further misaligned. I have usedthe M19 command to check the spindle orientation on start-up and after the warmup. I have read as much as I can about this issue and have not found much info.If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

This is my first post. Please, if you have any questionsdon’t hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Trevor

Re: Spindle Alignment issue leads to misaligned tool change

Trevor,

What control and spindle drive do you have on this machine??? So every day when you start the machine it aligns in the same spot ( when you align the machine) and aligns correctly for a tool change for a short time.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

I am at home now and will confirm tomorrow. The symptoms you stated are correct. I believe it is a acramatic 850 mc control with fanuc spindle drive. I am more confident about the control.

Confirmed. Cincinnati Milacron EV-1250 with Acramatic 850 MC control and fanuc spindle drive.

This older machine has a circuit board on the front of the spindle drive that orients the spindle based on feedback from different devices. There is a setup for this board that I don't have but you may be able to get it from FANUC. You may need an adjustment to this board, look at the lights on this board when it is working correctly and compare it to when it is not working.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

I was finally able to take some pictures. In one photo the rpm of the spindle is displayed. One solid light no others. In the other picture an rpm of 6 is shown. All lights are solid with the exception of the adjust which blinks intermittently. The only thing I have noticed is that the spindle orientation gets worse with increasing ambient temperature. (this could be correlation and not causation however) I have not been able to take pictures when the machine is working correctly as it has been very warm here in Sacramento, Ca. I have a service manual which shows how to set up the spindle orientation which I will look into. I can set the orientation parameters for the M19 command using the three dials on the bottom right of the board(which is a temporary fix). Throughout the day the spindle orientation still gets further and further from the set point. Ambient Temp ( 80-100degF)

Even worse now is that the machine can't make a circular pocket. It is about 1.25" wide, 1.5" tall, with the tall axis about 20 deg from the vertical.

I will post more info soon. If anybody has any insight I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

The lights are located next to the blue connector on the wide ribbon.

You should get am air conditioner for the electrical cabinet to keep the temp low. It sounds like the spindle orient board is going bad and needs to be replaced, contact FANUC for a replacement. You may just need the the board setup for correct operation.