586,119 active members*
3,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tm-1 handwheel removal?

i didn't seem to find anything info in the book about the removal of the handwheels on the tm-1? does anyone know if there is a specific procedure? i've never had a use for the handwheels and we're in the process of adding more guards to the machine so i thought i would get them out of the way...

thanks --phil
    never time to do it right, always time to do it again...

I took the handwheels off a TL-1. They are just held on with a nut and have a key on the shaft, the TM is probably the same.

i finally got ahold of the service guy (the one i had talked to in the past and who was quite helpful was no longer available at his old number, oh well...) and it was as easy as removing the acorn nuts! but here is another question, i remove the handwheels and a very annoying "whine" is coming from the y axis. possibly a harmonic whine? i put the handwheel back on and it is no longer there? does the handwheel dampen it just enough? or is this a sign of bigger problems?
    the handwheels aren't really in the way so maybe i'll just leave them on!

thanks--phil

I don't think your whine indicates anything too serious; I had a Super MiniMill that did the same on the X axis. When a servo is holding a position it has to oscillate very, very slightly around that position, all you have done is changed the mass of the oscillating system so it oscillates further and becomes noticeable. There are parameters that can be adjusted to tune the servoes and that is how my whining X axis was fixed. You could probably get the Haas tech to do it but that will cost. I insisted that mine be done during the warranty period and it took something like four visits of about 30 minutes each; not cheap if you are paying.

thanks geof,
    my warranty is long gone (6months goes by fast...) and for what servo tuning would cost i can live with the handles on!

Just take off the actual handle part not the whole wheel. This way the snagging hazard is gone and IF you ever do need to do a quick positioning manuever you still can.

that's how we've got it setup at the moment, actually it never even had the actual handles, just the wheel...