586,075 active members*
4,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > I would like to get an honest opinion from an experienced CAD user about V27
Page 1 of 3 123

I would like to get an honest opinion from an experienced CAD user about V27

I have been approached repeatedly by BobCad sales to purchase a seat in V27 for use in our shop. Right now we use Surfcam and KeyCreator for CAM and for CAD. I think BobCad has made improvements but not sure it is on par with the other programs mentioned. Any users out there care to comment?

Re: I would like to get an honest opinion from an experienced CAD user about V27

You would need someone that knows both softwares well to give you an answer.Then they would have to be honest and un-biased.

I would Demo BoB and I would also request a "live" demo,,,and to get a real good shake,,give them one of your parts that you now make.
    You can go here to view how to video's https://www.youtube.com/user/Depoalo...view=0&sort=dd

BTW,I hear people bad mouth SurfCam all the time,,,however I have no idea.Getting that honest and un-biased answer is likely not.

bobcad guy Guest

Re: I would like to get an honest opinion from an experienced CAD user about V27

i wouldnt, but thats me.

Are the features you use in Keycreator just duplicated on BobC ?
    or is there any "advantage" over those excellent systems you now have.
    (there is nothing you can't model with Key)
    (using cadkey stuff since 96)
    Been doing this too long

Quote Originally Posted by bobcad guy View Post
    i wouldnt, but thats me.
    You should be generous and give all your wisdom over on the Master Cam Forum.They have questions needing answers over there too.

let see what could comes out if one answer beside either program..

if youre expert, then just download trial, or buy without try and use it.. that means to be expert..

also for an expert since all program will work for that one, youll get answer all of them is working..
    all of them can be used for modeling, machining..

99 percent of users never will write any camprogram.. so users cant really evaluate why one program better than other..

so... this innocent question, which one better can open a can of worm..
    if you feel the price ok, or you like the interface, or functions, then go for and use it..
    bobcad always has a good deal in their drawer..

no other program can give you..

on other side, I know keycreator around the 90's worked very closely like autocad.. bobcad has different ""cad interface""
    not less, but different

if you get use bobcad, or start with bobcad, you going to find weird the keycreator..

so ... just make your own decision.. if you buy a seat, you don't loose nothing.. you going to have one more cadcam in your shop.. you can hire one more programmer...

see the positive things.. and don't forget the time when you learned keycreator.. a new program means new lessons..

you can not evaluate within a couple days a program.. you need to get familiar with..

by the way, can you give some light on how much the keycreator was purchased, and how much you paid for surfcam?

when you compare them first take into account the price..

well.. little research, thanks google, surfcam the 3 axis, start somewhere 15K ..

thinking on this... just go for bobcad, and for many works you have a great cadcam.. even buying from someone surfcam , still 7500.. plus the transfer fee by vero ...
    so knowing this... you can buy bobcad..

KennebecKid

Stick with keyCreator, it is the best cad software, there cam is very basic,but they are not in it for the cam, there is nothing that can touch there cad though

Just depends on what you are doing, as to what kind of Cam software you would need, I would pass on both of what you are using & looking at
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by bobcad guy View Post
    i wouldnt, but thats me.
    In response to the OP's question this addresses none of the individual points and actually means nothing at all.
    Ever thought of a career in politics?

;-)

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by KennebecKid View Post
    I have been approached repeatedly by BobCad sales to purchase a seat in V27 for use in our shop. Right now we use Surfcam and KeyCreator for CAM and for CAD. I think BobCad has made improvements but not sure it is on par with the other programs mentioned. Any users out there care to comment?
    I just took a look at KeyCreator as I'd never seen it before. Impressive. Why dump it?

I need to clarify one thing before giving my opinion. Is your current setup with Surfcam and KeyCreator "linked" as in associative?

An important thing to consider about BobCAD-CAM is that the "CAD" portion that is included is something that you will use regardless of what software you design your part in. The tools are impressive but probably not as full featured as KeyCreator (I can claim no personal knowledge of the software). You would use BobCAD geometry creation tools to infinitely fine tune your toolpaths when you are ready to use CAM, if you desire to perfect your programs.

I just purchased V27 and just ran through the first example part in the Professor Series. V27 completely overhauled the CAD side and though it is still familiar to me I'm starting at Step 1 like a rookie should.

yes bobcad has offer for memorial day..
    very impressive offer..

I cant imagine, any shop could ignore 15K they can save to setting up ..
    I think this is the reason he looking into..

some complex cadmodel, can take day, or days.. and getting one more seat probably still very expenses..
    but next jobs already there, and need another cadcam to keep the workflow..

just my 2 cent..

if it were the school, then definitely bobcad..
    students could work with their own program..

Take a look at ZW3D.......some very serious bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by cncmm View Post
    Take a look at ZW3D.......some very serious bang for the buck.

how much is the buck ?

Depends around 12k

cool I need at least 3 of them :-)

after I win on the lottery :-)

the point is with bobcad its price.. folks has money they go for mastercam.. or delcam.. they are perfect solutions both..

Well,that is about 5 to 6 times the price of BoB.
    I am guessing the OP is looking for lower price software

the cadpart of looking almost same than viacad I just purchased on amazon for 30 bux...
    who knows .. I might got better deal with viacad..

While I can't speak to anything but BobCad, we have just installed it (1 month ago). We were using Vector for WEDM and 3 axis, but needed 4th axis and an update. I looked at lots of programs, and found BobCad to be very satisfactory to our needs. So far, I am extremely delighted and satisfied. The support has been excellent, and everything I have used it on (WEDM and Mill) has been great. We area a one-shot tool & die shop, and it fits the bill nicely.

I would not switch over to Bobcad to do CAD work if your used to using other CAD packages to do that now. While you can draw stuff in Bob it's very clunky compared to other products. I have Autocad and Solidworks and use them to do all of my Cad work and then import files into Bob to do the Cam part.

For the Cam side Bob is not to bad if your looking for a low end program to use. It's on the cheaper side and can do most simple stuff pretty good. The mill package is pretty good, but I am having a hard time doing lathe programs and getting the correct size OD/ID on our lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Malish View Post
    The mill package is pretty good, but I am having a hard time doing lathe programs and getting the correct size OD/ID on our lathe.
    ???? Malish

How can you not get the software to machine to size ? ? ?

Never heared of that issue, either you are using the software incorrectly or your Lathe won`t hold tolerance, please tell us what exactlyyour issues are and maybe someone can help you out

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Page 1 of 3 123