586,104 active members*
3,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > FINALLY.....I found some extruded dovetails.....

FINALLY.....I found some extruded dovetails.....

I've been looking for these for a long time .....thought I'd share the find....

http://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage...Visual_ID=1874
    When architects and engineers fail ......my phone rings....go figure! LOL What next?

That is a great product. I just can't think how to use it. What are your ideas for integrating this into a machine?

Well, How about on every axis. I was thinking about delrin slides or uhmw. In making mills I've always preferred the tried and true dovetail. I'm still working out the exact structure for cost effectivness and rigidity. There is so much potential with this my heads spinning. When I get a drawing done tommorrow I'll post it here....stay tuned ..... I have to post some drawings and parts lists in my other post aswell so I have to make time.....till then
    When architects and engineers fail ......my phone rings....go figure! LOL What next?

That is pretty cool, could make for a fast 3 axis setup, thanks for posting.

Russell.

I like the idea of the extrusions I just did not see Delrin slides on the web site. Can you post a supplier of Delrin or UHMW? With Delrin slides this would make a machine build very easy and very fast. Great find.

Quote Originally Posted by txcowdog View Post
    I like the idea of the extrusions I just did not see Delrin slides on the web site. Can you post a supplier of Delrin or UHMW? With Delrin slides this would make a machine build very easy and very fast. Great find.
    http://www.8020.net/PDF/Fractional%20Section%209.pdf

Switcher,
    Thanks for the link but I read all 32 pages of the pdf and did not find a Delrin slide that would fit the dovetail for this particular extrusion. Spunky, do you have a link for the slides?

There are no links to delrin or UHMW dovetail slides ......I just make my own from sheet stock. It can be purchased at sites such as www.onlinemetals.com.

Thanks spunky. Great product. I'll get some and do a little experimenting.

Are these aluminum or steel?

I'd be a little skeptical of using these in a linear motion application if they are aluminum. Aluminum tends to gall when moving against itself, and is typically not a great bearing medium. That's why 8020 uses UHMW for motion applications (as opposed to static positioning). I've seen a couple of routers on the zone built using the stuff. If you're planning on this for building a DIY router/mill, you defrinitely want to drive your gantry/table in the middle to keep it from binding, but it's definitely do-able.

What angle dovetail are these? Could be good if you could machine up bearings to match.