586,106 active members*
2,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5 Servos on a Kanalog board

I was poking around my WinCNC control and once again contemplating moving to Kflop based system with Kanalog. Looking at the specs again, I am not sure that kanalog will quite work, or maybe it will but not quite in a typical fashion?

The issue is that I have 5 servos to drive. 2 on the gantry, one across the gantry and basically 2 Z axis....labeled Z and W in WinCNC right now. It looks like Kanalog can happily drive these with analog +/- 10v but I am not sure on the encoder side:

the Kanalog - Connector Pinouts webpage states:

"Typically up to 4 encoder's A/B signals are connected to JP1 and any Z index inputs are connected to JP2"

So, does that mean if I ignore the index signal I can use 5 motors, but I would be limited to 4 if I used the index signal. The encoder output will be coming out of teknic servo drives not directly from the motor encoder. The drives will be controled by the analog signal in this scenario, but currently step and direction controlled.

If so, I can keep going and planning how I can best transition from one system to the other.

One last question. Where would the a spindle VFD typically be controlled from on a Kflop/Kanalog setup?

Thanks, Greg Facer

Re: 5 Servos on a Kanalog board

Hi Greg,

That quote from the Kanalog Connector Page is assuming you have 4 servos or less. Kanalog JP1 and JP2 basically have 16 differential inputs. In your case of 5 Axes the encoder AB signals would consume the first 10. There would then be 6 unused that you could use for your 5 encoder Z inputs.

The Z inputs are not necessary unless your application requires them for more accurate homing or something.

Regarding the VFD. If it accepts an analog speed input you might use one of the 3 leftover Kanalog +/-10 V DAC Outputs. Note that the Kanalog DACs are not isolated so you will have to consider if connecting Kanalog GND to your VFD will cause any issues with safety or noise.

The Kanalog Opto Outputs are usually capable of driving VFD switch inputs for enable/disable CW/CCW and so forth.

HTH
    Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com