586,392 active members*
3,126 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy laser cutter filtration?

My carbon filter for my Versa Laser 200 is toast!
    I have to order another for $390 WOW!!!!!!!
    The versa people said that some people hook their laser to a ventialtion system in order to avoid the filter altogether which would save mobey in the long run

I myself don't have a ventilation system in my shop (I'm not counting the ventllation vent which barely sucks). A teacher from another school hooked up his laser to dryer hosing and ran it out his shop door?

What do you guys think. CHEAP CHEAP solutions? DID I say CHEAP?

thanks

C
    "Craft is What I do All Day. Art is what I have at the end of it" Jean Weller

I would think something like this, plumbed outside would work well.

http://www.ventaire.com/fume_arms.htm

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WAFEx.jpg  

additional info

Wow! I'm getting closer

Now comes the question:
    Thick concrete walls due to the fact that we were are a hurricane shelter
    Do I
    1.try to request $$ for a capital improvement to bust through the walls
    2. Try to tap into the school exit ventilation system and add additional fans..beaucse it aint sucking
    3. Run the darn thing to my bay doors and just rip a hole in it. Like another teacher in our system did.

1) Tell the boss its a SAFETY issue and you need it done.
    2) Wouldn't recommend possibly filling the school with harmful fumes.
    3) Cheapest and easiest.
    How about using a jigsaw or other to cut a hole in the bay door and then fab a little door to cover the hole when you aren't using it. This would be similar to what is in the bay doors of mechanics shops.

Good Luck
    Matt

Here is what you need to put in the door and then run a hose from it to the machine. Just use the same concept they use to dyno cars inside

Exaust Ports
    http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/exhaust-ports.html

The cart filtration system on the versalasers is only if you want to run it in an eclosed environment i.e a classroom so I see no problem with hooking a hose and getting it to the outside.

How did you decide your carbon filter was knackered?

Ben

Cool dead and expensive carbon filter

Well, my machine gave me a message that the carbon filter was toas. Then asked me tp provide a code when I had it replaced. I ordered the $400 clunker and just got it, entered the code, activated the macine, but guess what, still fumes. One of my kids had the bright idea to hook it up to the shop vac, and valla! working system. Now, for a dedicated pump. I need to look at the spec on the suggestions above. Looks like it will work. As for cutting through my shop door, that should be interesting. What do they say. Don't ask for permission, beg for forgiveness.