Hi,

I am considering purchasing a Raptor 24x48 with :

MX36660/4250z
    Proxy switches
    backing plate
    2010 ballscrew upgrade
    SBC railsupgrate
    t-slot table

With the Tekno .7kw 18000-24000 double bearing spindle wit te Delta VFD007E21T 1x220V->3x220V 0.75KW & Keypad and brake resistor

My intention is to have the CNC as rigid and solid as possible for guitars only, so cutting soft to hard woods , alder-ebony etc.

Does anyone have a similar CNC?

How is it going for you?

Would you recommend anything else?

The only other think I am thinking about is to get the larger Tekno 2.0kw but I am not sure if tat is even necessary?

Any advice is appreciated,
    RMiro

Re: Raptor purchase advice - Tekno etc.

I have a similar setup to that except mine is 30 x 48 and the larger spindle. The machine honestly works great. I would recommend that you consider the 30" model for the small difference in price. Once you have one of these you will be surprised how many other uses and or jobs will be possible.

Art

RMiroC

Xzero machines have evolved, into a very well built machine,for a spindle go for 1.5Kw or the 2Kw if there is not a 1.5Kw, you most likely have no need for the braking resistor. the .7Kw spindle would do the job,but you would be having to take much lighter cuts
    Mactec54

Hi,
    Thank you for your replies so far !

I will strongly consider the larger spindle & re-think the brake resistor.
    For now my thinking of the 24x48 vs 30x48 is to have the machine be as solid as possible and we will only be using it for guitars.

Another path my business partner & I are considering, and it might be far into overkill but we want to know if it is possible to use with the Raptor, is to use the BlurryCustoms ATC spindle, or the Tenko ATC.

Would the Raptor be able to handle using either ATC spindles?

Thanks again,
    RMC

Quote Originally Posted by RMiroC View Post
    I will strongly consider the larger spindle & re-think the brake resistor
    It's only use is for stopping the spindle fast, you may need it if you use a Tool changer ( ATC )

Another path my business partner & I are considering, and it might be far into overkill but we want to know if it is possible to use with the Raptor, is to use the BlurryCustoms ATC spindle, or the Tenko ATC.
    I would not buy either of these ATC spindles, they are way too spendy, the Chinese ATC spindles are much cheaper,I will do the same job, you want your spindle water cooled as well

Would the Raptor be able to handle a ATC spindle?
    Yes an ATC does not add any stress to the machine, just a little more weight on the Z axes
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec54,

Thank you for your help !

We were considering the Tekno/BC ATC due to doubting the quality of the Chinese ATC`s.

The logic would be a longer lasting system ( with the Tekno/BC ATC ) vs. possibly replacing the Chinese ATC sooner than the Tekno/BC ATC.

I have read both positive and negative info here about the Chinese ATCs so doubts set in.

Is this an over reaction we are having about the Chinese ATC?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It's only use is for stopping the spindle fast, you may need it if you use a Tool changer ( ATC )

I would not buy either of these ATC spindles, they are way too spendy, the Chinese ATC spindles are much cheaper,I will do the same job, you want your spindle water cooled as well

Yes an ATC does not add any stress to the machine, just a little more weight on the Z axes

I've only seen one, maybe two chinese ATC spindles on machines here, so how good they actually are is anyone's guess.
    But since the vast majority of members here are using standard chinese spindles without issues, it's fair to assume that a chinese ATC spindle would be decent as well???

Another thing to be aware of is where to mount your tool holder rack, which will most likely use up some of your cutting area. A machine designed for an ATC will usually have longer travels so the tools can be mounted clear of the table. You won't have that luxury.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

RMiroC

I know where there are 2 of the Chinese ATC spindles in use, they have been running a few years now, with no problems, I have been thinking of stocking them, there are some very good quality ATC spindles that they make now,under $2000, 20 or 30 Taper, but not all of them are great, the quality changes depending on the manufacture

A photo of a 1.5Kw ISO 20 24,000 RPM water cooled
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.5KW ATC.PNG  
    Mactec54

Tank you Mactec54, this is definitely reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    RMiroC

I know where there are 2 of the Chinese ATC spindles in use, they have been running a few years now, with no problems, I have been thinking of stocking them, there are some very good quality ATC spindles that they make now,under $2000, 20 or 30 Taper, but not all of them are great, the quality changes depending on the manufacture

A photo of a 1.5Kw ISO 20 24,000 RPM water cooled

XZero cnc

Thanks George,

I`ve been doing searches for these since you posted the video but can not find any resource for them.

Do you or anyone here know where I could find these?

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post

Specifically the ones made in Taiwan...anyone know where to buy these?