586,102 active members*
3,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    There's another on Veterans Memorial on the west side a couple of miles west of fulton industrial. I just picked up some aluminum stock from ABC last week.

Anywhere to learn basic machining...?

I'm located in Vinings, and have finally run into some "projects" that I would rather learn how to machine myself instead of paying someone else to make.

I have NO background in metalworking besides some basic TIG welding training a couple months ago, and would like to find a school or shop that offers basic skill training (at least enough to learn how to snap tooling as well as Barry!). The plan is to have some working knowledge under my belt when I venture off and buy my own CNC equipment.

Any ideas of places to start? Most tech/vocational schools I talk to want you to enroll in an auto repair curriculum which is overkill for a hobbyist, and MicroKinetics in Kennesaw (http://microkinetics.com) offers a 2-3 day training course specifically on their equipment, assuming a metalworking background.

Thanks for any help/suggestions/leads!

BTW - anyone familiar with the MicroKinetics equipment? Looks nice, they're local, and the prices don't look too bad for new toolshop-scale equipment... I can't seem to find anything on CNCZone about them...

-R

Check you messages... I would be glad to help... I'm in North Ga..

Marc
    Hey check out my website...www.cravenoriginal.com
    Thanks Marc

I would like to find some vendors for work. Here is a description of what I do.
    I'm not sure where I would post this or if I can. Please someone guide where I can post this for my shop on this forum. No means to spam at all. Thank you.

We are a shop with 20+ years in machining and tooling experience including extensive CNC machining. We started out as a shop in North Jersey in the late 80's. MIS can machine aluminum, steel, and plastic parts from prints and sketches. We will handle prototype and experimental productions. MIS will handle prototype to production, whether it is 10 or 1000 parts. Whether it is for pharmaceutical or automotive applications, we can machine the design. Any general machining is available as well whether it be tapping or chamfering.

We have Hurco CNC's available for precise machining. Harding second operation lathes and Boyar-Shultz surface grinder. We have a distributor who can supply all grades and classes of aluminum and steel.

We are experts in thermoform vacuum molds that are used in pharmaceutical packaging. We have produced molds and parts for huge pharmaceutical companies like Pfizer and Merck.

You can simply send prints, sketches, or diagrams via mail, email, or image hotlinking as we can take a look at them. Also we can meet in person to discuss machining. MIS is also able to ship parts via USPS or UPS at the preference of the vendor. If within reasonable distance, we will also deliver to your door step.

Please call for any questions
    678-559-4268
    678-557-9513 Or Email: [email protected]

Anyone know the name of the scrap metal place somewhere off 85, Thinking it's north of jimmy carter blvd?? Do they sell to the public? I use to buy metal from a place next door to it, but never stopped in to ask.

Any other scrap places on the north side? (Suwanee, Buford area)

it's blaze recycling, Norcross division

Norcross:
    1882 Mitchell Road
    Norcross, GA 30071
    (770) 447-0175
    my projects:
    http://www.barryfish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_ward View Post
    Norcross:
    1882 Mitchell Road
    Norcross, GA 30071
    (770) 447-0175
    Thanks Barry! Have you ever been there?? Do/Did they have any Aluminum cut-offs or is it all 'junk' (Building Teardowns/Old Cars etc)

I didn't go back through all of the posts, so maybe someone mentioned it, but if you can't find what you need in a scrapyard metal supermarkets has cutoffs or just buy exactly what you need. There are two in the Atlanta area.

http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Dave Panetta - Dacula

Oh, and for you DIYers like me - if you need software to run things don't forget about http://www.linuxcnc.org/
    and EMC2 - you will need to have a little computer knowledge or there is help around for EMC2 and linux also.
    You can get EMC2 already configured on CD - check out the "emc2.2.2 Ubuntu LiveCD" link on the above linux site.
    If you use EMC2 you will want to check out "https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-users".

Mazak T32B control

Hello everyone,

Hello all,

I just joined your awesome site and thought someone on here may be able to lend some assistance. I just purchased a Mazak QT-8 with a T32B controller and having trouble clearing some alarm codes. I spoke with Mazak and they said I would need to do a re-initialization on the control and faxed me the procedure. I had to leave on a trip before I was able to do it so I’ll find out next week if it does the trick.

Also, I was hoping to find someone in the area who may be able to help me finish getting this machine up and running. If your in Atlanta (Kennesaw) or close by and wouldn’t mind lending some expertise, I would be grateful.

Dave
    404-964-3283

I need some help figuring out Mach 3 mill. I have built a Rockcliff cnc router, hobbycnc controller and know how to run meshcam for toolpath generation but am now stumped. I live in Norcross. Thanks, Pico

Hi Pico-

Welcome to the site. Wish I could help but I know nothing about the control you're using.

Dave

Pico,

I'm located near Maysville just north of you. I use Mach3 for mill and lathe. Be glad to assist in any way can. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss or visit my home shop.

Doug

Page 3 of 3 123