586,106 active members*
2,955 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Rack & Pinion vs Lead Screw

We are finalizing the design (for the umpteenth time) for an 8' x 4' CNC router. All of the previous designs used a 5/8 or 3/4 inch diameter lead screw to drive the "X" & "Y" axis'. Now we are considering replacing that with a Rack & Pinion system. We were afraid of the amount of "whip" there would be in a screw of such a small diameter that is over 9 feet long.

Any thoughts, pro or con?

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO CONTROL PITCH ERROR??? A COUPLE OF IDEAS= GLASS SCALES VERY EXPENSIVE!!@@**## OR HAVE THE RACK EDM'D ALONG WITH THE GEAR. YOU COULD ALSO HAVE THE MACHINE LASER CALIBRATED, AND HAVE ERROR COMPENSATION IN THE CONTROL.

Haven't got that far into it yet. Like I said, this is a new "thought" that just came up yesterday afternoon. Our concern over the the whipping of a 9' long screw led us to consider alternatives. But that is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thanks

I would go rack and pinon myself, it would allow for more adj. and would eliminate the need to support that lead screw. You can make a "L" shaped support for the lead screw, you make it so it can rock back and forth so it does'nt interfere with the nut.

One thing you can consider is mounting the motor on the axis and turning the nut via a timing belt/pulleys. This nut/pulley would need to be located between two thrust bearings. Then the screw will be installed on the machine in a fixed position (doesn't turn). Now you have eliminated whip, and you have much less mass to turn.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

For a screw as long as you are planing I would not go smaller than 1". How will you prevent backlash with a rack and pinion design? Are you thinking of having two racks, one at each end of the gantry? What about using a long timing belt that goes over a timing gear?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails belt.gif  
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You may need a gearbox for that setup.

Eric

What about using a long timing belt that goes over a timing gear?
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Yes, you'd surely need a gearbox for a rack and pinion or timing belt type drive because of the mechanical disadvantage the motor would acquire by being used in this fashion. Instead of one turn of the motor causing a movement of .2", you'd get a movement of 2 or 3 inches (without a gearbox). Not good, IMO.

What do the commercially made units do to solve the screw whip problem?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

There is a solution to avoid whip on long lead screws. Leave the screw stationary. Mount a belt drive nut to the carriage. Long Bobcad tables used the method.

"The Rotating Nut ball screw line can increase traverse speeds up to 200 m/min with efficiency over 90%. The RN series consists of standard diameter and standard lead screws around which a flange-type precision housing has been designed.

The housing enables a timing belt to drive the nut and contains the preloaded rotating ball nut assembly. The bearings in the housing are grease packed and sealed for life, so no additional lubrication is needed.

Available in ISO precision classes 3 and 5 in both Medium Duty (single track), or High Duty(twin track) configurations.

Thomson Industries, Port Washington, NY, "

Bet you won't find a rotary ballscrew nut like that at Walmart
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

I also like the rotating ball nut. This is how I designed my Z axis movement in my drill-mill CNC conversion.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

Backlash in rack and pinnion can be an over rated concern. I tested the backlash in my nearly 10 year old Digital Tool rack and pinnion router a few weeks ago. It was .002 in both the x and y axis. I find that to be a non-existant issue in woodworking. We keep the machine clean and tight, but I've never done anything to adjust the rack and pinnion.

Oh, and there is backlash compensation in the control softwre but I have it turned off.

BH Davis

I like the idea of the timing belt that Jeff Davis suggested. I'm going to have to check into this.

As far as a gear box on the Rack and Pinion setup, we were not going to drive the Pinion directly but rather with a belt/pulley system. We were going to use a pulley configuration that moves the gantry .100 per revolution of the motor.

Thanks for all the input and ideas. Keep 'em coming.

LINEAR MOTOR???

HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT USING A LINEAR MOTOR???? THEY HAVE PLENTY OF TOURQUE FOR WHAT YOUR DOING

No. A linear motor has never been considered, but I'm open to all ideas and suggestions. Tell me more.

linear motors

try this out.

http://www.h2wtech.com/highdcbrushless.htm

if this doesn't fit, go to http://www.globalspec.com/
    and search for linear motors.

if it's not here it not available.

This seems to be the way the future is going to go. Very flexable, and very accurate, if set-up correctly.

linear motors

Chad ,

How do you controll a motor like that. ?????

Gary

Hi Chad,

I liked the two axis linear stepper on that site. So much for ball nuts and lead screws.
    The linear motor was also impressive at 240 ips, 640 lbs and 12g's.

Chris

Very good, Chad. I really, really like the linear motor idea. I guess I need to go back to the drawing board one more time and see how this will compare with some of the other configurations. Has anyone actually built their own CNC machine using these?

THEY ALREADY HAVE THEM

THEY ARE ALREADY ON CNC'S. I HEARD THRU THE GRAPE-VINE THAT MITSUBISHI ALREADY HAS A WIRE EDM THAT USES LINEAR MOTORS, THEY ARE ALSO BEING USED BY ALL THE BIG GUY'S FOR ASSEMBLY\AUTOMATION. TO GET INTO METAL WORKING THEY NEED TO BE A BIT MORE RIGID. WE ARE GOING TO BE TRYING TO ATTEMPT TO USE THEM FOR SOME OF OUR FORMING.
    I BELEIVE THEY ARE CONTROLED BY A PLC, BUT I'M SURE THEY HAVE CONTROLERS THAT ARE SOLD BY THE SAME COMPANIES. CHECK OUT THE LINK ABOVE. IT'S MY FIRST PLACE TO GO WHEN I'M LOOKING FOR SOMETHING, AND I HAVEN'T BEEN DISPOINTED YET. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP ME POSTED.

Page 1 of 3 123