586,677 active members*
3,082 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Need help choosing spindle and VFD.

Need help choosing spindle and VFD.

Hello all,

Im currently working on retrofitting new electronics onto an old Techno CNC Gantry III using a G540. Everything is finally up and running and working properly, so I now need to add a spindle.

I will primarily be cutting aluminum and maybe even steel. Right now i'm planning on ordering a HITACHI NES1-015LB VFD and a 1.5KW water cooled spindle. Before I invest the $500 on these, I want to make sure it will be a good decision.

Im looking at that specific spindle because of the following reasons (please correct me if these assumptions are wrong):
    - I will be cutting at low RPMs in order to cut the metals. Thus, I need a water cooled spindle in order to stay cool at these low speeds.
    - I was originally going to get a 0.8KW spindle, but this spindle only weighs .2 lbs more so I might as well get more power.

Are these reasons correct? Will this be a good match and a good buy? Are there better options out there? Im willing to pay more for quality.

Is there a benefit of a 3-phase VFD over a 1-phase? Both are available for the exact same price.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Need help choosing spindle and VFD.

- I will be cutting at low RPMs in order to cut the metals. Thus, I need a water cooled spindle in order to stay cool at these low speeds.
    These spindles really shouldn't be run below about 8000 rpm. Their power drops off rapidly as rpm's go below that.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

With a .25" end mill, would I need to go below 8000 rpm in order to cut aluminum? What about steel?

you can buy low rpm spindle, bu t they are even from china, very expenses..

heres one seller.. but some research pulls more up...

Aliexpress.com : Buy Lower speed Larger Torque Electric Spindle Motor 2.2Kw AC380V 1000rpm 8000rpm 6P Spindle for drilling/milling metal materials from Reliable motor suppliers on CNC Router Parts Store | Alibaba Group

just a side note, the isel bearings are not equal with the square rails..
    think over before invest too much..

Quote Originally Posted by geofox784 View Post
    . Before I invest the $500 on these, I want to make sure it will be a good decision.

Im loo !
    Mate, the spindle you are looking at, is made in China. On Aliexpress, you could buy this lot...

ER11 Spindle Motor 1.5kw Water Cooled Spindle & 1500W VFD & 65mm clamp & cooling Water pump & 13pcs er11 For CNC Router Milling-in Machine Tool Spindle from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

But before you do, Check Further.
    I buy from China, if and when, the only stuff I can get, is made in China. ( I'm in Australia)
    Also, I check previous sales on an item, and take heed of "approvals" from USA, Australia and Kiwi buyers only.
    Personally., I shop a lot in China, just remember that.
    • Your warranty will involve sending stuff back at your expense.
    • Warranty shop is not down the road.
    • Technical assistance is a little harder to get and understand.
    • Smaller items, I always buy 2 backups. Bit harder to do with $$$$$ items.
    • On this understanding, I have not been disappointed, over 5-6 years. Although Cyclone Marcia, Feb 20 2015, winds about 300kph, blew my 400w wind generator over. 9m high and not stayed, so I can't really blame China, Hey!
    • If a small item at $10.00, dies, you just write it off and forget it.
    • If it will worry you too much about a $10.00 item, then don't buy Chinese

Best of Luck,
    Mark Needham
    PS. We tend to pay through the nose, here in Australia and it is only getting worse, as our Dollar, takes a bath.
    A US$500.00 item would cost me about A$720.00.