586,094 active members*
4,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Coolant pump overtemp alarm

Coolant pump overtemp alarm

For the first time since we got our machine running we tried using the coolant pump. It started and ran fine but then we got a coolant pump over temp alarm. The pump sounded fine (like no bad bearings) and it was not very warm to the touch. How does it register over temp? Is it monitoring actual temp or amperage draw ro what? Thanks
    Joe

Re: Coolant pump overtemp alarm

I know some of the Grundfoss pumps have a thermal switch in them.Not sure about other brands.
    If that's the case just jumping the wires should work if you don't mind burning the pump motor up.
    Other machines just have the contact on the overload relay,when the relay trips the machine has a thermal trip alarm.

To the best of my knowledge the control does not look at the temp of the coolant pump, it only looks at a current overload. What coolant pump do you have and what machine/control do you have??? You need to look at the electrical prints for the input about coolant motor over temp.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

I just had the same problem on a Cincinnati Avenger, it ended up being theconnector cord where it plugs into the machine, the pins had pushed in because the plastic back plate inside the plug came loose, reset the pins and superglued the back plate on and it went away, I had replaced the bearings and taken the motor apart to check electrical connections first, kinda bummed I wasted all the time but glad It was an easy fix, hopefully yours is something similarly easy.

Thanks for the heads up! I will check!