586,058 active members*
4,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Need some Info please

looking for Cam Software and Controller, that will integrate with Hypertherm Torch Height Controller.
    hypertherm THC. According to the rep.that sold us the THC...if the THC detects a miss fire or a collision it has the abilities to send a signal back to the computer to stop all movement... so I need cam software and controller ... I would like the cam software has the capabilities to plot only what I want cut on each drawing, DFX Import.. the Ability to move the drawing to optimize the cut...

and help or tips would be greatly accepted... thank you so much

Re: Need some Info please

It sounds like you don't actually have a plasmacam machine (yet), is that correct? Are you trying to build a machine or doing some sort of retrofit on some other system (I got to hand to you, man, your brave to get the HC before any of the other stuff that you would probably need!).

Anyways, Hypertherm does have options for you on controls and associated control software that you'll need to make what your described work.

For CAD, tool pathing and exporting G-code; Plasmacam's designedge is flawless and can really minimize the amount of software that you would otherwise have to deal with in order to make a single cut. I have been hearing that plasmacam's Designedge is being used more and more o program other cnc systems mainly because of it ease of use and its ability to export G-code in various post processors to control those respective systems that are not plasmacam.

If your are doing a retrofit or building your own system, Hypertherm actually offers CNC controllers (their EdgePro series of controllers, and their Phoenix control software and CutPro wizard ) which are definitely suitable for their HC. They mentioned this to you right? (especially if you bought their HC already). Then, if combined with plasmacam's easy to use cad/cam software, designedge into the mix, you would be set!

Then on the other hand, if you do not have the time or patience to engage in retro fitting or going the a DIY system route (this is pretty much me at this stage in my life) and want a ready to go system that you'll have up, running and in business from one day to the next, then I can't think of an easier route to take other than a plasmacam, straight up!

I did the DIY CNC jazz once and will probably never do it again mainly because of the time commitment that was involved. By the time everything was completed...it took so much time and money that I could have probably purchased a few plasmacam's and a CNC router to go along with it. I, like others that I have met that have gone this route, completely underestimated the time factor that needed to be involved in making sure that everything was well choreographed and absolutely perfect amongst all of the system components in order to achieve a reasonable level of quality (software is whole other can of worms on DIY CNC project...it hurt my had to think about it). I am not speaking for everyone on my experience..some people have a bunch of time on their hands and love projects like such. When I got my Plasmacam setup and was up and running within hours of delivery, I kicked myself for not having done this sooner. The Plasmacam changed the game for me in so many different ways, that I would be pretty lost with out at this point.

Nevertheless, to each his own. You may have completely different reasons why your route is better for your needs.

Good luck brother.

JAG