586,042 active members*
3,743 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G code showing in window

Hi,
    I have SprutCam 7, when I load a SC7 NC program from USB into PathPilot the g code does not show in the "G-Code Preview" window on the "File" tab or in the "Recent Files/ Current File Display" window in the "Main" tab.
    However the G-Code does show when I create a file using the wizards.
    SC7 saves the file as a .tap file and PP saves it as a .NC file. I tried renaming the .tap file to .NC but that didn't help.
    FYI when I click on edit g-code button the editor does bring up the SC7 file OK.
    Not a big thing but I like seeing the list of tools and other info seeing the g-code shows.
    Any info on how to "fix" this?
    Thanks,
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Re: G code showing in window

Hey, Gerry
    Don't think sprut cam code is your problem. I load tap files onto usb. Then connect usb to controller. On the FILES tab you have 3 windows.
    Far right is a preview of g-code file selected, middle window is your usb stick files and the left is the storage on your controller. You need to copy the files from the center window "usb" to the left window "control hard disk". Then select the file you want in the left window and press load g-code button. The code should be visible in the left window on the MAIN tab along with the tool paths in the graphic window to the right.
    Hope this helps

Thanks for the quick reply MD.
    I think I am doing it as you describe above?
    Check out this movie I just made.

Pre-post update
    I should've tried this before posting in the first place... whilst waiting for the movie to upload I copied some other SC7 .nc files from my desktop/ working computer over to the controller via USB and they all show up in the preview windows as expected. I don't know why this one particular file is not?
    Thanks again but seems to be somewhat of a false alarm.
    Gerry

https://youtu.be/ntEKCD5OOQ4

Ok I see what your seeing. Was thinking I read this all wrong or what.
    I use sprut 9 and the tab files it creates with no conversion or problem. File extension wise anyway. I did or will have to change all my programs and templates to work with the way pp sets work offsets. Not a big deal and is mostly how the user operates pp in conjunction with code format. Most everything I do is setup as multi sided parts in one g-code file and pp handles setting the g54 - g59 a little different then mach did interface wise not code wise.
    Anyway I think you will find this to be a nice program / tool. It took a couple hours to understand and get use to where everything is and what your looking at and what has focus for things like jogging and setting values. Afer that it was down right easy to use! Tormach and whoever else developed this did a awesome job right down to the colors of the interface! I can safely say it even improved the overall accuracy and repeatability of my mill.

Is it possible that there is an error in the non-displaying file? I'm not near my PP but I believe that I had a similar problem earlier. Check your "STATUS" tab.

I just tried it and if I click on a file that is definitely not GCode (a .exe for example) I get the same result as in your video.

Thanks for the additional replies fellas.
    I'm finding that some of my old .nc files show OK and some don't.
    I am going to dig in to it further based on your replies and samco's link to the previous thread.
    Thanks again,
    Gerry

OK, so far I have discovered that it is in my tool table descriptions in SC7. For example I had a couple of 90 degree drill point EM's described with "90°" in the text. Deleted the "°" special character and the g-code showed in both preview windows.
    Another thing that was weirding me out was that I discovered you have to have the machine turned on and referenced before you could click on "edit g-code" button and have the editor pop up with your file in it.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Gerry