586,452 active members*
2,988 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > RF31 CNC Kit or switch to Seig X3 CNC or ??

RF31 CNC Kit or switch to Seig X3 CNC or ??

I have a Harbor Freight Rong Fu RF31 copy and would like to make it CNC. I see a couple companies on the web that offer CNC completed RF31 machines (they're fairly expensive) but curious if there's anyone out there which offers a quality CNC conversion for this Rong Fu copy that doesn't make it cost prohibitive?

My other consideration is to just sell my Harbor Freight RF31 and buy the new Seig X3 then get the CNC kit from CNC Fusion?

Any input regarding what's a large benchtop CNC machine that's affordable. The Sieg X3 is about $1000 the CNC Fusion kit is around $750 (when you do the upgrades) plus of course drivers / motors. This pushes this system up to around $2300 considering I did all the work myself plus I already have driver / design software and a spare computer.

Is there anything else near this price point (within $1K) which is a better machine? Or is worth looking at? I would consider the Taig or Max CNC15 but these seem smaller and significantly less powerful than the Sieg X3 or Rong Fu's. I haven't found anything else which is worth considering? If anyone has any pointers, I'd even consider used stuff.

i just converted my RF-25 clone. not really difficult to do and i don't think there are any DIY kits out there for these.

I looked up the RF25 and it looks just like my Harbor Freight. I see the RF31 and RF25 clones that appear the same depending on which company selling them...

Any chance you could send me some photo's of what you did? I would really be interested in viewing how you coupled the leadscrew to the stages and Z axis, leadscrew lengths, etc.

If you know your class of work wil not need much of a z-axsis capability convert the RF31. If it's to be a general purpose machine then sell it and buy an X3. That 4 or 5 inches of Z could drive you crazy.(chair)

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Gene-Yo View Post
    I have a Harbor Freight Rong Fu RF31 copy and would like to make it CNC. I see a couple companies on the web that offer CNC completed RF31 machines (they're fairly expensive) but curious if there's anyone out there which offers a quality CNC conversion for this Rong Fu copy that doesn't make it cost prohibitive?

My other consideration is to just sell my Harbor Freight RF31 and buy the new Seig X3 then get the CNC kit from CNC Fusion?

Any input regarding what's a large benchtop CNC machine that's affordable. The Sieg X3 is about $1000 the CNC Fusion kit is around $750 (when you do the upgrades) plus of course drivers / motors. This pushes this system up to around $2300 considering I did all the work myself plus I already have driver / design software and a spare computer.

Is there anything else near this price point (within $1K) which is a better machine? Or is worth looking at? I would consider the Taig or Max CNC15 but these seem smaller and significantly less powerful than the Sieg X3 or Rong Fu's. I haven't found anything else which is worth considering? If anyone has any pointers, I'd even consider used stuff.

look for adryans post, he converted an RF-25 and posted alot of pics. also do a search under round column mill. other people have converted the RF-31.