586,096 active members*
3,721 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 6 12345

Re: My 2nd 3 axis CNC Router build

I must say this is looking better with every post!

where did you buy the extrusions for the table top?

Thanks @wizard.

@cstidham
    I got them from a local shop. Sizes are 22.5X180mm.

Same as this one: 22.5x180 - Bosch Rexroth Corp.

Long time no progress due to the vacation but I'm back. Done the last third part yesterday.

Only 1 part left.

Testing the Z. All parts fit nicely.

Maybe I missed it, but seeing the numbers instead of milling marks, did you use tooling plate/Mic 6 for the plate?

err I'm not sure what you mean but, I used 12mm 6061-T6 alu sheet and cut it with my router.

Edit: ah I googled the Mic 6. That was an option but it is not cheap in Turkey. So I went with the sheet I used.

My general thoughts about locking washers is that they eventually loosen up. If bolt security is important I suggest something like safety wire. We used safety wire in either .020", .032" and .041" thickness with.032" being the most common. Even if it stretches it will not be enough for the bolt to loosen. All it requires is two holes, one on the part and one on the bolt or nut or both

I've been busy.

Very nice work! That is going to be a very sturdy base. My 4x4 is welded steel and it just doesn't flex at all.....my top is T slot aluminum.

Yes you have been busy and frankly it looks fantastic! This is really nice work.

That looks great!

Why not flip that Z-axis plate over, then you could have a couple more inches of z-axis clearance.

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post
    That looks great!

Why not flip that Z-axis plate over, then you could have a couple more inches of z-axis clearance.
    Good catch. The plate in the photo mounted upside down. I flipped it over.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    Very nice work! That is going to be a very sturdy base. My 4x4 is welded steel and it just doesn't flex at all.....my top is T slot aluminum.
    That's cool. My next router will be the same as yours. Steel base and maybe steel gantry.

One more thing to do to the base is to fill inside with 3 of 40x80 extrusion so the slotted table top won't flex at all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I must say your work is very nice. Been looking at every image and read every word and following with interest. I envy you for that Z part. That is really a masterpiece. In my own CNC the Z is the weak point and that's the one in most need of upgrade. Currently I am considering between upgrading my CNC or building a new, second one. One day I want to upgrade because it is faster the other day building a new from scratch. Upgrading has a disadvantage that during the process I have no CNC, building a second one from scratch has the advantage that the first one can be used to make parts and so on... just like you seem to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    That's cool. My next router will be the same as yours. Steel base and maybe steel gantry.
    Another one? What will you do with all those? Are you planning selling number one when number three is ready?

One more thing to do to the base is to fill inside with 3 of 40x80 extrusion so the slotted table top won't flex at all.
    Have you considered replacing the rubber feet with rubber wheels? That is the only modification I would do in your design because moving around that heavy thing can not be easy. I learned that when I was almost ready with mine, and my table together with the CNC and the electronics (I have everything built in) weights only about 50 kg but it was a bit difficult to move it around so I added four wheels. Yours must be much heavier than mine, even if you don't have the electronic control box with power supply built in.

Thanks guys for the nice words. Makes me feel like I'm doing something useful (which I don't do often : )).

Here you see the X axis. I know I need shorter bolts there.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 82b050b40f.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I must say your work is very nice. Been looking at every image and read every word and following with interest. I envy you for that Z part. That is really a masterpiece. In my own CNC the Z is the weak point and that's the one in most need of upgrade. Currently I am considering between upgrading my CNC or building a new, second one. One day I want to upgrade because it is faster the other day building a new from scratch. Upgrading has a disadvantage that during the process I have no CNC, building a second one from scratch has the advantage that the first one can be used to make parts and so on... just like you seem to be doing.

Another one? What will you do with all those? Are you planning selling number one when number three is ready?

Have you considered replacing the rubber feet with rubber wheels? That is the only modification I would do in your design because moving around that heavy thing can not be easy. I learned that when I was almost ready with mine, and my table together with the CNC and the electronics (I have everything built in) weights only about 50 kg but it was a bit difficult to move it around so I added four wheels. Yours must be much heavier than mine, even if you don't have the electronic control box with power supply built in.
    Thank you. I'm very glad you like it.

The feets are plastic actually and they are rated 100kg each. Pretty sturdy but you're right. The machine is very heavy and it's almost impossible to move along with the iron table. I was thinking about castor wheels. They sure look nice but are not cheap.

Edit: I thing they are called "leveling casters"
    Leveling Casters | eBay

E
    Thank you. I'm very glad you like it.

The feets are plastic actually and they are rated 100kg each. Pretty sturdy but you're right. The machine is very heavy and it's almost impossible to move along with the iron table. I was thinking about castor wheels. They sure look nice but are not cheap.

Edit: I thing they are called "leveling casters"
    Leveling Casters | eBay
    Buy a automotive floor jack or two. It will make minor moves easy. I use one to move my heavy benches around. You wouldn't want to be using such a jack for frequent moves but then again you wouldn't want to do that for an accurately installed machine.

Page 3 of 6 12345