Hello all.

I just got my chinese air-cooled spindle working and mounted on my router, hoping to replace a 7518 PC router on a Techno CNC and maybe more 7518s around the shop later....mostly for lower noise. I went air-cooled over water as I'd rather not have the chance of leaks around anything that also has power to it. I'm funny like that, although probably over-cautious too.

Anyways, I think I have all hooked up properly, turns on, setting entered as per another thread, onboard VFD dial sets the speed correctly (near as I can tell). But, I noticed that it was pretty hot after only a few minutes of very light cutting (1/4" spiral bit, ER20 collet so nothing it can't easily handle) . Is that normal? The spindle has a direct-drive fan but seems to be putting out an OK amount of air......certainly I am now considering a separate electric fan instead of or in addition too the direct drive fan.....not sure if it just has a high operating temp or if something is wrong wrong wrong and i'll fry it running it for a few hours. Did a search and only heat issue was for an electric fan model.

Any ideas appreciated!

It's this spindle: 2 2KW Square Air Cooled Spindle Motor ER20 Runout Off 0 01mm GDZ 80x73 2 2 Model | eBay with a 3kw 220v single phase hungyang VFD. (regardless of the listing, I doubt it came with ceramic bearings!)