Quote Originally Posted by ahren View Post
That could work. However, to be clear:
OK.. YES. Every body will have to take into account there model of break out box and if they have already used the 5th spot for a rotary table or what ever cool gadget they already have. At this point I'm only looking at my situation and the hard wiring part of it. Or more to the point, for those with a NEMA 23 box and do not have a 5th driver in place using the ( for me ) empty DB 9, you have a pretty easy path. No need to cut new holes if you don't want to.

As much reading that will be required as well as a special saved XML file for MACH3 to run the CNC and the laser, I doubt anybody is going to read this thread and start jamming serial cables in the wrong spot. The J Tech driver does not come with a hook up cable, let alone being a serial cable. Your on your own to wire it as it is a kit. So you would have to spend time figuring out the pin outs, wire them to mate with the outputs that YOU would have wired to the DB-9, if that was they way you chose. As I said, it can be a very clean adaptation. Plug and play it is not.

Some thing that would be of more useful info would be to know the strength of the 5 volt signal that comes out of the break out board. I'll ask Jay at J Tech to quantify "strong" 5 volt signal. By that I assume he means the amps.