586,082 active members*
3,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > SMM2 Chip Auger Problem - Clogging

SMM2 Chip Auger Problem - Clogging

Has anyone ever had a problem with their chip auger clogging under large amounts of chips heading toward it? I had to take the whole chute off including the horizontal part and let it run that way. Even with the chute off, I had to hand scrape them off the auger with a stick, at the exit from the machine. The chips are about 1.1 inches long, 6061 aluminum, and seem to really pack up in the auger, to the point where they even get stuck to the auger itself, and between the auger and the evacuation tube. With the diagonal chute installed, they do not really make any upward progress out the chute at all. In fact, the auger would frequently reverse itself to try to clear the blockage, and in the forward direction, it would frequently sound like it's about to stall. Am I just trying to evacuate too many chips too fast? Are the chips themselves too big? To me, it's almost like the OD of the auger is too much smaller than the ID of the tube it lives in.

Re: SMM2 Chip Auger Problem - Clogging

been in your shoes a couple of times on the bigger VF mills ,,, swapped over to the lakeside chip braker mills and the short chips not only go out the auger WAY better they also get to the auger WAY better than were the big long chips ,,, one of the best things about the shorter chips is my 275 gallon scrap totes went from 800 lbs to over 1300 lbs by using the chip braker mills ,,, also if your slotting they hold up 4 or 5 times longer do to way less recutting .

I agree with DD that your chips may be a little long. Longer chips usually have evacuation problems with the augers, especially in lathe applications where the chips can be much longer.

I think if you are able to shorten the chips, you will have much better success.

Good luck!

The motion of the auger and the amount of space between the auger and the tube really causes the chips to pack in between the auger and tube, rather than proceeding forward out into the angled part of the tube. And once they are packed in, the motor does not have the torque to overcome it, and the load sensing triggers a reverse. I really think this is not right. I do not think my chips are any different than what you would expect find in this machine under normal use. I'm cutting with a 5/8 dia 3fl EM in 6061-T6 at 10k RPM, 120 IPM, .060 radial DOC. Is it possible the wrong auger could have been installed at the factory?

I shouldn't have to buy new tooling to solve a defect with the machine, and I shouldn't have to adjust the toolpaths causing a longer cycle time either.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk