586,345 active members*
3,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

KL-4030 How do I test, and is there a suitable replacement?

Hi all!
    Short story: I'm building a router. LinuxCNC, 36V power supply, C10 BOB with 5V power supply, 3 KL-4030 drivers (2 I bought last year, one I bought last month.) and NEMA23 motors.
    I think I've got a problem with my newest KL-4030 and I need to know how I can test it with a multimeter, and if there is a suitable replacement by a different maker that I might be able to find online.

Long story:
    Two axes work great. The third (Z) locks up when power is turned on, but had no movement when I tried to configure it in LinuxCNC. I tried a multimeter to check connectivity for all connections, and it's good from the board all the way to the motor.
    I swapped connectors and the motor runs great from the other two boards, but whatever motor/axis I try to drive from the 3rd KL4030 just sits there locked up but not moving.
    I swapped connections on the C10 breakout board. I went from 6/7 to 8/9, tried again and got nothing.

I went back into LinuxCNC configuration and checked the "inverse" box for steps. Now the motor moves! But its jerking around and sounding like it's running through gravel - even under no load. And when I stop the test it stops moving but starts spitting out random high-pitched screams that last for about 3-5 seconds.

I've checked/rechecked every connection 100 times. I've tried setting the dip switches to the exact same as the other two drivers, and it's always the same results.
    So - how do I check with a multimeter to see if indeed the board is fried? (Please explain in newbie terms if possible.)
    And if it is fried, can anyone recommend a similar driver by a different maker/seller - something i can plug into a C10 and will output 2.8amps - at a decent price?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: KL-4030 How do I test, and is there a suitable replacement?

Hi Sir
    Can you contact us and send a email to our support
    we will help you

5000 Step Time
    5000 Step Space
    20000 Direction Hold
    20000 Direction Setup
    Stepper Motor |CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Printers For Sale Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Printers For Sale