586,077 active members*
3,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > MadCAM trial software issue

MadCAM trial software issue

Hey all, I recently downloaded the trial version of MadCAM along w/ the trial version of Rhino5 as I'm looking for a software matrix that will work for what I am doing. From reading the documentation, it seems that the software is the Full Version for the first 30 days, however, there are a lot of things missing. Like tooling bits and most importantly post processors. I created a new postprocessor using the ISO G Code sample in the help documentation but that throws a TON of errors in Universal GCode Sender.

Background: Machine is new, I've carved some basic 2D stuff w/ the provided Easel Software, but that is nowhere close to what I want to do (at least it proved the machine is working). I'm able to connect to the machine and control it w/ Universal G Code Sender and with ChiliPeppr, but the gcode from MadCAM is absolute garbage with the sample ISO G Code post processor in the help files.

Machine: XCarve
    Controller Board: TinyG
    Controller Software: Universal G Code Sender
    CAD: Rhino5
    CAM: MadCAM (or whatever fraction of this software actually installed)

Any help would be appreciated, kinda frustrating staring at a machine that can't really do anything. <rant>I know it will not happen anytime soon, but if someone wanted to own the hobbiest market they would put all these fragments of software together and sell it as a package. Heck, package the normal retail software and limit the amount of parts cut per day or something. </rant>

Thanks all for any help / insight you can provide.

Re: MadCAM trial software issue

Nothin'???

FYI, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plug in a couple of times...

Chill dude, you better wait more than three hours before you get replies. This is a world wide forum you know

What do you mean there are no post processors? I have at least over a hundred in a default installation.
    I've never heard of a controller called Universal G Code Sender. And know when I check it out it's a total home brew and there's no G Code spec compliance listed. You are on your own but I would say try with the LinuxCNC post as a start, it's the most standard G Code interpreter you can use and you should be able to work something out from that post.

Sorry dude, figured with 50 views at that point someone might have a suggestion, my bad. Thanks for the suggestions.

By 'no post processors' I mean that there are none in the list in the UI, none in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\5XCNC\ folder or subfolders, none in the ProgramData folder structure and none in the Program Files or Program Files (x86) subfolders (wouldn't assume that they would be but checked anyway).

Universal G Code sender: https://github.com/winder/Universal-G-Code-Sender.
    Yes it's an open source solution, but I'm not the only one using it. I agree that I should start with something that is spec compliant and go from there, might see if there is a Mach3/4 trial available. I've tried ChiliPeppr as well and it will not load the G code from the ISO G Code postprocessor in the MadCAM help files wither. Running Windows, so I'm guessing by the name LinuxCNC it is not for that platform, but will check that out as well.

I believe the real problem is that MadCAM is not installing properly and would like to fix that first before moving on. If anyone has seen this before or has an idea on how to resolve it any pointers would be appreciated.

BTW, where does it say that you can post process on a demo version? I think you can't in demo state.

I know several users of RhinoCAM who say it's garbage and they're not hobby guys either. One is a very smart guy that does all kinds of mould work for complex carbon fibre work. I also know 2 people here that use Madcam and they swear by it. One is Mike Turner (Turmite) building sport car bodies and the other guy is Schuyler Greenawalt from the School Street Design Company. Sky has probably forgotten more than you and I will ever know and I have never seen anyone with such attention to detail as he has. He even has a blog Better Living Through CNC | The Production Blog of School Street Design Company and one of the articles is about MadCam Maximizing Toolpath Quality with madCAM | Better Living Through CNC. MadCam 3 axis is cheap for the things it can do but if you are after a cheapie software to do a bit of hobby stuff, I'd look elsewhere.

One more thing, try to approach these matters with some diplomacy and you might get more replies. Most of MadCam's users are mould (mold for you) makers and that is a far cry from those who hack out some MDF on a hobby router. Statements like "but the gcode from MadCAM is absolute garbage" don't go down well.
    Cheers

Skippy, there's a reason I'm trying to get this to work. I have heard that MadCAM is really good...if it installs properly; which is where I'm trying to get to . I'm not someone who takes pleasure in going to a particular forum and bashing everyone in it on my first post. The G Code is garbage because I'm trying to hack together a postprocessor and I know that is 100% the reason. The tool paths look great.

Scenakela - That could very well be true. I have an email in to the support team, we'll see what they come back with. For some reason I remember reading that the trial version was full fidelity.

PS - Added the trial screen, says customizable postprocessors...?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MadCamCapture.PNG  

Quote Originally Posted by RickRo View Post
    Skippy, there's a reason I'm trying to get this to work. I have heard that MadCAM is really good...if it installs properly; which is where I'm trying to get to . I'm not someone who takes pleasure in going to a particular forum and bashing everyone in it on my first post. The G Code is garbage because I'm trying to hack together a postprocessor and I know that is 100% the reason. The tool paths look great.

Scenakela - That could very well be true. I have an email in to the support team, we'll see what they come back with. For some reason I remember reading that the trial version was full fidelity.

PS - Added the trial screen, says customizable postprocessors...?

I can't really take you seriously when we execute G-code in 5-axis machines on a daily basis. Still, you have a code interpreter with no ISO compliance built on an Arduino. It's not like we're talking Heidenhain here...

Regarding the Demo license you have to wait for the reply from MadCAM, I don't know what's in the demo version and it's not listed on the website either. Maybe someone else knows about it though.

I'm not someone who takes pleasure in going to a particular forum and bashing everyone in it on my first post.
    Yes, that's the problem with the written word (forums) as it's easy to misunderstand (me) what others (you) are saying. Hey good luck with it and I hope you get it going well. I'll keep following your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by svenakela View Post
    I can't really take you seriously when we execute G-code in 5-axis machines on a daily basis. Still, you have a code interpreter with no ISO compliance built on an Arduino.
    Hmm, alright. I'm not sure what any of this has to do with MadCAM installation. I'm happy to purchase a "real" code interpreter. Unfortunately it's going to be gathering dust until the CAM software set up properly. Seems like I'm asking the wrong questions or in the wrong place for MadCAM support. Sorry for the bother.

Hmm, alright. I'm not sure what any of this has to do with MadCAM installation. I'm happy to purchase a "real" code interpreter. Unfortunately it's going to be gathering dust until the CAM software set up properly. Seems like I'm asking the wrong questions or in the wrong place for MadCAM support. Sorry for the bother.
    You stated that the G-code was garbage. That's why.

Like I said, you should wait until you get the reply from the support as no one seems to be able to confirm that there should be posts or not in a demo environment.
    I have over a hundred post processors from the default installation and a bunch of custom made for machines. Making a post processor is not the easiest task and that's why I said you should start from an existing. If you don't have any, it's a Catch 22 and see the first line of this response.

I know that when I first tried the demo I had access to all of the post prossessing , one would assume that things would not have changed .

I think I recall that last year some one mentioned they could not post in demo and Joakim fixed it

To the best of my knowledge, the trial version should allow post-processing. I suspect that your installation somehow was corrupted.

Did you disable your virus scanners to do the install? Probably should. Also, back off the UAC, that might help as well. If you can post a sample of good code that drives your machine (just something small that shows the beginning and end) it shouldn't take long to make you a post that works.

Don't give up yet. Once you get this sorted out, and get that machine moving, you'll be glad you stuck it out with madCAM.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

BTW, what OS are you on and is it 32 or 64 bit?

Hi, This issue is probably resolved now, but I noticed that MC installed the Cutters/Machines/Postprocessor libraries in C:/ProgramData/5XCNC.... instead of Users/Roaming.... Maybe that's why you don't see them when you're browsing from inside MC?

dh