586,075 active members*
3,967 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Engine design in Solidworks
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Engine design in Solidworks

2015 X64 is the version and thanks for the advice as to the method.

As per adamw's and your suggestion, I downloaded a SW file of a head in Grabcad and what a good move that was. Even though the author of the drawing may have different design intent than the person looking at the drawing, it is still a great way to see how others go about everything (not just the bits I'm stuck on) and what is possible in general.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    2015 X64 is the version and thanks for the advice as to the method.

As per adamw's and your suggestion, I downloaded a SW file of a head in Grabcad and what a good move that was. Even though the author of the drawing may have different design intent than the person looking at the drawing, it is still a great way to see how others go about everything (not just the bits I'm stuck on) and what is possible in general.

Thanks.
    I've attached a sw2012 file (you should be able to open it) with one way to make this part. I think I forgot a section of tube, but you can get the idea. Hope it helps

Thanks,
    Gerrit

(also, 7-zip is a great program for making zip files. I wouldn't use anything else.)

I won't get a chance to open it until later in the week as I am flat out at the moment but thanks a lot for posting the file and the tip re 7-zip.

Phil

I did a bit of digging this week and have finally been able to do what I wanted to do. I knew what I wanted to do but not how to go about it. Some of the problems I was having where simply caused by my ignorance in how to go about something. Two items worth mentioning are:

(1) In a 3D sketch on an angled plane, I couldn’t manage to draw circles that were normal to a line. (the line representing the path of the port and the circles for loft or boundary feature) (This is easy to do when working with standard straight planes). Solution: a 3D sketch plane is required but for the plane reference you have to select the point on the end of a line or spline then the line/spline itself. Then draw your circle or whatever on the sketch plane at whatever angle.

(2) I couldn’t figure out how to use the 3D sketch for the valve and port 1a, for the valve and port 1b being the same sketch but on a plane that is symmetrically opposite that of 1a. Solution: I was hoping that in a 3D sketch you could mirror across planes but this is not possible in SW however you can mirror the sweep/loft/boundary feature used for 1a port and mirror it across the right plane for port 1b.

Thanks to Coetzee, I also learnt about "knit surfaces" which I didn't know about before.

Page 2 of 2 12