586,036 active members*
3,565 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCad Post Processors > Need Help understanding post processors and choosing which would work for my machine.

Question Need Help understanding post processors and choosing which would work for my machine.

Hi,

I'm a little confused by the post processor wizard on the site as there are numerous ones and what the difference is between
    OEM POSTS and the others

If I choose OEM POSTS there is only one option..
    version: BobCAD V26 OEM POST
    machine type: v26 OEM Mill_Router
    Controller Make: Mach_Mill
    Posts available: Mach3_OEM.exe

if I choose version: BobCAD V26 there are quite a number of different ones and i'm not sure what they all mean.
    For example Mach3-Mill-NoATC.exe is one choice.
    ...what does the NoATC stand for??

I am just a hobbyist user/newbie, just trying to get a proper understanding of what the different post processors mean and do.

I have Bobcad v26 4axis standard.
    Mach3
    GeckoG540

Eventually I would like to add a 4th axis once I get into it a bit more. I've just got my home machine up and running and am ready to intall Bobcad.

thanks,
    Jeff

Re: Need Help understanding post processors and choosing which would work for my mach

Jeff

The "No ATC" stands for "No Automatic Tool Changer", if your machine doesn`t have a tool changer then it will need slightly different code than if it did.

If you have BobCAD 4 Axis Standard then when you install BobCAD you would be best off setting the software to the BC_4X_Mill and using the BC_4X_Mill.MillPst post processor, this PP will already be in your installation of V26, this system is Fanuc based as is Mach3, just in case you didn`t know Mach4 is now available for Hobbyists, it is way better than Mach3 so I would suggest you look into getting Mach4, one reason for that is although there is a huge amount of information about Mach3 on the ForumI have heard it is no longer supported since Mach4 was released. JFYI

Other than setting the machine limits in the software under the two "Current Settings" tabs and your personal preferences of how the software looks/feels for you and maybe a "tweak" or two to the PP.

Just shout if you need any help with the initial setting up but it is pretty easy really

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Re: Need Help understanding post processors and choosing which would work for my mach

okay thanks, will set it up as you suggest.

I bought mach 3 last year before mach4 was out, no need to dish out more money right now. I'm using the 2010 screenset with mach to deal with multiple tool changes.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    Jeff

The "No ATC" stands for "No Automatic Tool Changer", if your machine doesn`t have a tool changer then it will need slightly different code than if it did.

If you have BobCAD 4 Axis Standard then when you install BobCAD you would be best off setting the software to the BC_4X_Mill and using the BC_4X_Mill.MillPst post processor, this PP will already be in your installation of V26, this system is Fanuc based as is Mach3, just in case you didn`t know Mach4 is now available for Hobbyists, it is way better than Mach3 so I would suggest you look into getting Mach4, one reason for that is although there is a huge amount of information about Mach3 on the ForumI have heard it is no longer supported since Mach4 was released. JFYI

Other than setting the machine limits in the software under the two "Current Settings" tabs and your personal preferences of how the software looks/feels for you and maybe a "tweak" or two to the PP.

Just shout if you need any help with the initial setting up but it is pretty easy really

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro: