586,114 active members*
3,283 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > newbie needs advice on simple stepper control - programable?

newbie needs advice on simple stepper control - programable?

Hi - I am interested in building a simple prototype pick and place system for small objects. I have done fixtures with pneumatics, but would like to try steppers.
    I have quite a bit of experience with PLC based data acquisition and control...DIO an Analog Out, and some PLC experience with the same.
    After reading until my eyes started to bleed ... I am here to ask for suggestions.

My 1rst choice would be to simply use IO from PC DaQ, o PLC to run a "stepper sub routine"... similar to an "mdrive". Or use Automation Direct Sure Step and one of their higher end controllers, with simple "click" plc. BUT that gets expensive quickly as you add axis.

I don't need the fastest, best solution.. just something that would be flexible to learn with.

Are there any options for low cost programmable controllers. or motors with onboard controllers (I am not interested in an Ardurino solution)
    I would like a balance between "off the shelf" like Automation Direct, or Mdrive and cost.... and additional hardware. I already have IO available, but nothing with a CTRIO or true high speed ouput.

Thanks

Re: newbie needs advice on simple stepper control - programable?

Here's another source for interesting motors with drivers: Teknic Clearpath

What do you mean by "simple pick and place"? Do source and destination positions come from a data file or some form of 'hard coded' positions.
    There are lots of interesting circuit board pick and place machines. A machine to put nuts onto studs would be a very different beast though.

And does no Adruino mean you don't want any microcontrollers or such with low level programming?

Thanks for the reply...

Teknic seems similar to an Mdrive, but less expensive which is good.

Originally I was thinking that the destination positions would be hardcoded, and the IO would trigger the motion sequence.... But after reading more, and almost running out of beverages, I think I would like some flexibility to change the program thru operator input. The additional cost seemed worth it.

I am not sure what you mean by "micro level programming". I would like to keep it as simple and easy to learn as possible, but the instructions have to come from somewhere.

I have realized another option that takes advantage of the PC based DAQ system. The system is capable of sending/receiving data via RS232/485, and I have done this several times with scales to retrieve the current weight. From what I understand Mdrive smart motors are capable of receiving the 485 commands, and I think some controllers are also.

Note - I am aware of the limits of a Windows based control system, but like the flexibility it offers during development. Any critical operations would likely be controlled thru a PLC.

So... It seems that for <$300 I can get an integrated motor that responds to I0 inputs only. For $100-$150 more I get an integrated motor that can handle RS232.
    Any suggestions for controllers that can handle RS232? Or integrated motors that handle rs232 ( I have not fully read the teknic spec, maybe it is an option)

Since a pick-and-place machine doesn't really need coordinated motion, things are a bit easier.

Also not a stepper system, but a DMM servo system can handle RS232 move commands.

Or maybe just go with a Gecko G540 connected to the parallel port of an older pc. Mach or LinuxCNC can control your motion with G-Code, or you can write your own (ideally DOS based) software to twiddle the step/dir signals in the parallel port. (An Adruino programmed with one of the flavours of GRBL could handle motion planning too, while isolating said motion planning from the pitfalls of Windows.)