586,103 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 10hp COLOMBO - FAN COOLING CONVERSION

10hp COLOMBO - FAN COOLING CONVERSION

I have a 10HP COLOMBO air cooled spindle.(with tool change). Cooling it is originally and currently set up with a duct inside the outer sheet metal cover that blended it with the air flowing to the dust collector. Wanting to get away from full time dust collection. But need my spindle cooled full time. I'm needing to convert to electric fan cooling.

The spindle itself has a flange mount opening not much bigger than the wide size of a pack of cigarettes. This is what the duct is screwed to that mates internally with the cosmetic sheet metal out cover of the machine. (spindle cover). I want to lose the spindle cover as well. It is very bulky, heavy, gets in the way and kinda ugly.

Been considering 3D printing a flange and mounting 140mm computer case fan. but I can only get to about 100 cfm with that. Not even sure if that is adequate. Next Idea is a booster fan (or maybe a fart fan) type of thing. Kinda bulky, loud and unsightly. A google search helped me find the picture below. Although it is unrelated to my machine and unfortunately the article was not helpful at all. But this is a visual aide for what I need to somehow accomplish.

Please, Any reference pictures, short stories, brilliant ideas, technical specs or other help that might assist me in my venture would be greatly appreciated!

Re: 10hp COLOMBO - FAN COOLING CONVERSION

I don't know about that - why do you want to stop using your dust collector? Anytime you're using the router, you'll be generating dust. Collecting it seems like a good idea. Sure, you could cobble up some kind of "fart fan" and stick it on the spindle, but if it turns out to be inadequate you'll have destroyed a really nice (and expensive) spindle and for what?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: 10hp COLOMBO - FAN COOLING CONVERSION

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I don't know about that - why do you want to stop using your dust collector?

Didn't say I wanted to stop using it. Only want to get away from using it full time.

Anytime you're using the router, you'll be generating dust.

I can use alternate methods for dust collecting and displacing dust in other ways.

Collecting it seems like a good idea.

Brawndo! It's got electrolytes!

Sure, you could cobble up some kind of "fart fan" and stick it on the spindle, but if it turns out to be inadequate you'll have destroyed a really nice (and expensive) spindle.

This is kinda why I am using a 'life line' and polling the audience to gather quality information and avoid damaging the spindle. Trying to use a calculated risk instead of just rolling the dice with a fart fan.

and for what?

...you remember, ...the whole
    "wanting to get away from using the dust collector full time" idea.

Although you have taught me a very valuable lesson about polling the general public. I must request that you perhaps refrain from voting in 2016.
    We've had enough.