586,121 active members*
3,624 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > taig cnc mill with microproto controller and need set up values for linuxcnc

taig cnc mill with microproto controller and need set up values for linuxcnc

Hello,
    Trying to get my mill up and running and cant find any reference info for configuring my controller with linuxcnc. Any help?

Re: taig cnc mill with microproto controller and need set up values for linuxcnc

do you know the pins for x step dir etc ? do you know stepps per rev ? and do you know the gesr from stepper to spindle ? do you know the spindle distance per rev ? if you know all that use stepgen from linuxcnc menue and give it a try ,..

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Re: taig cnc mill with microproto controller and need set up values for linuxcnc

One of those jobs on the todo list. I even have the LinuxCNC box sitting on top of the Mach3 one, but 2000LE or DSLS3000? The open loop settings are different to the closed loop which may seem strange, but the older open loop electronics need a 10uS +ve step pulse while the closed loop needs a -ve pulse which can be narrower.
    Got as far as LinuxCNC Installation - Model Engineers Digital Workshop, but http://medw.co.uk/storage/attachment...pinDPinout.png has the actual pinout and the leadscrew is 20 TPI so 8000 steps at half stepping.
    I've been using the USB options which has pushed the Linux one down the stack, and there are only so many hour in the day
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Use the pinout AT stepconf and it should work

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk

Got some more info on it. Finally got the mill today and was able to take pictures and take off the controller box cover. Says micro mill 2000hd/le on the front. Any advice on hooking it up to Linux cnc? [[ATTACH]284656[ATTACH]
    ATTACH]284652[/ATTACH]Attachment 284654

Stepper board says 2003 that probably needs an upgrade doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by joedesu1 View Post
    Stepper board says 2003 that probably needs an upgrade doesn't it?
    NO that was when Kurt originally improved the design of the original controller which had t three wire per channel interface. The Step and Direction board takes the 'by then' more common step and direction setup.

I gave the starting point previously ... SDBoard_25pinDPinout Pin 1 needs to be high to enable the board, an the 4 pairs of step and direction signals control the four drivers. The other pins loop to the 8 way connector on the top corner of the box and can be ignored until you plug something into there. If you have a relay box, this plugs in there, and this will be controlled by the OUT1 and OUT2 pins.

For imperial setup -> 8000 steps per ince, Meric -> 314.96
    Speed stat at 20 inches per minute ... (600 milimeters)
    I start with acceleration of '1' ... ('30' for metric)

These figures should just plug into the linux setup and get you going, but surely SOMEONE has one actually running?
    Lester Caine - G8HFL
    http://medw.co.uk - Home of electronics for the Model Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by joedesu1 View Post
    Hello,
    Trying to get my mill up and running and cant find any reference info for configuring my controller with linuxcnc. Any help?
    Did you get your system, to work?
    I am trying to do the same thing, Let me know if you can help me.

I ended up going with Mach 3. A friend gave me a license. I know the pin setting for the driver for Mach 3 but I'm not certain it is the same for Linux cnc. Also if the stepper board is pre 2004 they say it won't work with modern cnc programs. Mine did but had some issues that caused me to go with a gecko g540. Let me know if you have more specific questions. Good luck.

Hi,
    if you know the pin setting for mach it is same for linuxcnc (i did run an machine first WIN-NC PC then mach3 and finally Linuxcnc the settings where in all systems the same

Attachment 292870
    Anyone with this mill have the same steppers as me? I get a lot of interference with my system and weird things happen.

I doubt that whatever interference issues you're having are directly the fault of those stepper motors, which look pretty standard. Interference usually is due to grounding and shielding (or lack thereof). What weird things are happening, exactly? Are you running a 3-phase spindle, or operating an arc welder in the vicinity?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Attachment 292878
    This is my spindle. Just seems to be having issues repeating zero when interpating for diameter cutting. I did have my box in a bad location and a
    Have since since moved it. So far so good but we shall see. It's a cnc mill and I'm not welding at the time

What makes you think it's interference that's causing your problems? From what you're saying, it sounds like lost steps, which are common in stepper systems, especially if they're trying to accelerate too fast. Try reducing the acceleration of any axis that's faulting, by 50% or so, until the problem goes away.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Guess I was just hoping its interference. lol. Although moving the electronics components and shielding the enclosure it's in seemed to fix the issue.