586,096 active members*
3,797 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101

Any one using a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101 with machine torch on a cnc plasma table. Im interested to know if there are any fine cut tips for this machine and if you can use 60A tips with it. I currently use the 40A and 80A tips that came with the machine and wondered if there are any other tips to use. i also have some questions about cut speeds and amperage settings you are using with with different thickness of material. what would be a good base line to cut .25" aluminum plate like what speed, amperage, torch height distance? Also have ever had the torch not ignite before torch movement. Some times the torch travels the lead in then peirces. Most of the time this is not a problem.

if any of you could help it be greatly appreciated

thanks

doug

Doug,
    See if this is any help to you.

http://www.thermadyne.com/uplFiles/l...d%20Charts.pdf

Judge

ill give it a try. thing is i cant go past 250 ipm with my table. so cutting 16ga according to this chart is double my capability. right now i cut 16ga at 60ipm and have hardly no dross set at 40A 70psi with 40A tip. it says 50 % of speed advertised so i gonna mess around with it. atleast i now know what manufacture is guessing to be right.

thanks

doug

Thermal Dynamics makes the following tips for the SL100 torch.
    9-8205 20 amp drag, 9-8206 30 amp drag, 9-8207 40 amp drag, 9-8208 40 amp, 9-8209 50 amp, 9-8210 60 amp, 9-8211 80 amp. Drag tips are typically used while hand cutting. They can be used while machine cutting if the transfer distance is kept short. The delay in starting may be normal. The preflow timing for the first time the torch fires is longer then the timing if the torch is still in post flow.

well i tried out the thermaldyne setting from that pdf. at 50% of advertised speed the cuts are beautiful almost no dross no warping and clean. problem is my machine dont like anything faster than 60ipm. theres to much wobble from the fast movement at 130ipm. time to engineer a new gantry this torchmate one is poor design. when the machine does quick direction changes i can see the tip of torch move a 1/8 inch.

Torch vibration. Remember to minimize the tip to torch mounting distance to reduce vibration. Try to hold the torch as close to the torch body on the mounting tube as possible. May require raising the metal to be cut. center line to cross axis carriage should be least amount possible. May sure torch leads are supported so that your cutting machine does not have to drag the lead package. another source of vibration in the cutting machine

I had similar issues with my Torchmate machine, I was generaly cutting up to 100 IPM, 150 rapids. When I had the cash I upgraded the carrage from the standard type, ( weldment with cam followers riding on C/R Bar ), to there TM 2, 3?, (aluminum extrusion with Origa linear slide). Big improvment, alot steadier!
    I also widened my table at this time, wanted to cut 5 X 10 footers, and also wanted extra room just in case to have a cutting torch engraver etc.., so had 6 feet of Y axis and also built a Jack shaft and installed more gear rack to have dual drive for both sides of the X axis. I believe this modification was a bit ambitious for the steppers to run. Motors lost steps more, and had to run slower cut feeds as a result. Got by for some time by swithing to Hypertherm fine cut consumables, (lets you cut sheet metal slower, thinnner kerf to).

Thought I'd share my experiences. There is a give and take when one starts modifying things.

Tyler

ya the slop is in the gantry carrage. the bearing have end play and it shows itself at high speeds at torch tip. i have the dual drive on mine that axis is rigid no problems. i also have cable carriers. its the fast direction changes and torch wobbles from torch mount to plate is prolly 8 -10 inches. about mid way on torch gear teeth.

I HAVE A CUTMASTER 101 i use the 60 amp tips all the time on 1/4 in plate