586,103 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > need help - understanding machine definition and setting it for my machine

Question need help - understanding machine definition and setting it for my machine

Hi,

just trying to get things set up for my machine, newbie here...

attached is an image of my machine and how i set my machine definition.
    I just set the min max limits to -1000/1000 for now.

in mach3 my soft limits are:
    x - 11.85
    y - 29.95
    z - -4.4
    - in machine coordinates, so in bobcad would i set it half way for each axis?? ex: X min/max of roughly -6/6 ??
    Attachment 283810

Re: need help - understanding machine definition and setting it for my machine

I would think ues, you would want to center your limits that way. If you set it at 0 -11+ then you would have to be sure toolpath never weńt into the negative quadrants and would also be continuously running your machine at the one limit (well, baring you not adjusting things away fro zero).... and only using half the axis as parts get big enough to go there... zero in center will give you the most flexibility...

right...i would assume 0 in the centre...i guess my point being why bother setting a min max limit if you need to be aware of the size of the part and placement on the table and how much travel you have anyway.
    That is why i set my min max to1000 since it seems to me to not really be necessary for my application, just need to be sure you have enough travel to cut the part.
    or would there be other benefits to setting my limits in bobcad?

It also aides in simulation.
    But yeah you can do as you just said.The machine should just alarm out if you over travel.

i see...okay. guess i'll just have to try posting something and see if runs the proper way for my machine....I don't have a 4th axis yet...so will deal with that when i get to it.

If you don`t set the limits correctly in Mach then you won`t see the toolpath displayed correctly in Mach.

Best to set everything the same, so if you have 18 inches of physical movement in the Y on your machine and your machine is correctly homed then it will be sitting at the full extent of the axis travels.
    All you need to know if moving away from that "MACHINE ZERO" will be a minus - or a plus + direction, that`s easily checked using your jog keys on your keyboard (Assuming you have set those).
    Once you know the direction then you can set your Max Soft and Min Soft values in Mach, you can now also use the same values to set your machine limits in BobCAD.

If your machine moves in a minus direction away from the Y limit switch then set the Y Max Soft to 0.00 and the Min Soft to -18.00

Do the same for the X axis, you should see in the Mach toolpath window a rectangular box that is outlined with a dotted line, that will represent the actual size and shape of the bed of your machine.

Now you can easily set the toolpath in any position you like using your G54,G55 etc "Fixture" settings in Mach, this means that you will ALWAYS draw your part in the same place in BobCAD, some people for example always use the bottom left corner, due to the way I set up vises and machined fixtures on my table I always draw my parts on centre Zero in BobCAD, that`s just my personal preference, it is easier to use a corner, usually the Bottom Left which means you will always be drawing in the top right quadrant in BobCAD.

Hope that is of some help

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

My Mach soft limits are set already...values posted in the picture. Ref all home to the back, left and top of travels.
    I was just curious as how babcad min/max limits relate to how you are using your machine

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    If you don`t set the limits correctly in Mach then you won`t see the toolpath displayed correctly in Mach.

Best to set everything the same, so if you have 18 inches of physical movement in the Y on your machine and your machine is correctly homed then it will be sitting at the full extent of the axis travels.
    All you need to know if moving away from that "MACHINE ZERO" will be a minus - or a plus + direction, that`s easily checked using your jog keys on your keyboard (Assuming you have set those).
    Once you know the direction then you can set your Max Soft and Min Soft values in Mach, you can now also use the same values to set your machine limits in BobCAD.

If your machine moves in a minus direction away from the Y limit switch then set the Y Max Soft to 0.00 and the Min Soft to -18.00

Do the same for the X axis, you should see in the Mach toolpath window a rectangular box that is outlined with a dotted line, that will represent the actual size and shape of the bed of your machine.

Now you can easily set the toolpath in any position you like using your G54,G55 etc "Fixture" settings in Mach, this means that you will ALWAYS draw your part in the same place in BobCAD, some people for example always use the bottom left corner, due to the way I set up vises and machined fixtures on my table I always draw my parts on centre Zero in BobCAD, that`s just my personal preference, it is easier to use a corner, usually the Bottom Left which means you will always be drawing in the top right quadrant in BobCAD.

Hope that is of some help

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zma-4qh0ebc

This illustrates it pretty clearly for my usage....just came across this youtube channel...will need to sift through all the vids