586,082 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tabs in V9

Tabs in V9

Is there a way to apply tabs to parts in v9? I see a function for EDM but not in mill.

What do you mean by 'tabs' ??

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

A small portion of material left uncut around a part in several places to retain them, akin to the little connections you see on a sheet of plastic model parts. Some applications call them bridges or bridging. Useful when nesting many parts out of a sheet. The tab is usually just shallow of final depth.
    We are open 24hrs. - just not in a row.

I have done it, if I remember you just raise the z where you want the tap.

I think he is looking for an automated way to do it.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Well, you'd create the the geometry for it, just like you would any other feature. Or you could edit the toolpath after it's processed, and add Z jumps, like Paul suggested.

There's too many variables to automate something like that.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

MikeA,

Here's how I do it.

I simply make a break in the profile midway along one entity. I cut a lot of carbon fibre laminate, so the break is such that it leaves around a .140 inch gap between the broken entities. Using a 1/8th cutter, it leaves enough of a tab (maybe .050 inch?) to break off quite easily. If you are cutting balsa, or something softer, the tab may have to be a bit wider. I will use these tabs on 2 or three areas of the profile, if needed.

Depending on the cutter size you are using, you may have to experiment a bit with the gap width.

Hope this made sense.

Mark Linder

Mark, how did that script I sent you work?

BTW, we should plan a desert trip before the end of the season..

'Rekd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sunsetrail.jpg  
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Rek'd!!

That was YOU??? Charles DOES get around.

I'll be darned!

Ya know, I am fortunate that we have been SO incredibly busy, I haven't even messed with it yet. I hope it will work since I need to ensure each machine has the latest and greatest part revisions.

Heck, I bought a Haas Mini last Ocober - It isn't even wired up yet! Not time!

Note to Mark - "Try out VB script THIS WEEK".

I'll keep you posted on the next trip. My buddies seem to like the one day shots to Superstition. Have you ever been there? It's fun and not too crowded.

By the way, after 20 years on and off riding ATV's I finally rolled one - right on top of me. 500 lbs of a Bombardier DS650 sitting on top of me. What joy!

I guess I wasn't riding hard enough the past 20 years, huh?

Have a good one, and I'll keep you posted on the script. Thanks for your help on that.

Mark Linder

Mark,

You better keep working. Its safer than "having fun"!
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Originally posted by mlinder
    Rek'd!!

That was YOU??? Charles DOES get around.

I'll be darned!

Ya know, I am fortunate that we have been SO incredibly busy, I haven't even messed with it yet. I hope it will work since I need to ensure each machine has the latest and greatest part revisions.

Heck, I bought a Haas Mini last Ocober - It isn't even wired up yet! Not time!

Note to Mark - "Try out VB script THIS WEEK".

I'll keep you posted on the next trip. My buddies seem to like the one day shots to Superstition. Have you ever been there? It's fun and not too crowded.

By the way, after 20 years on and off riding ATV's I finally rolled one - right on top of me. 500 lbs of a Bombardier DS650 sitting on top of me. What joy!

I guess I wasn't riding hard enough the past 20 years, huh?

Have a good one, and I'll keep you posted on the script. Thanks for your help on that.

Mark Linder
    LoL, Mark. Charles has really been a god-send for me. In fact, he's the one that got me the job I'm at now in El Cajon. Great place to work, though when I interviewed for the job they didn't even have a machine on the floor.

Now we've got 5 VF3's running 12-16 hrs a day, 7 days a week. (I'm here now as a matter of fact.)

I've been to superstition a few times. I almost refuse to go to Glamis on big weekends, generally go to Gordon's, it's more family oriented, and at my age I can't keep up with the partying like I used to..

I've only been a desert rat for a few years, I got a late start. Our next trip will be a week or two after superbowl, then again in early March when my brother comes in from Penn. I'll let you know as soon as I find out for sure.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

By the way our Nesting option for mastercam has the option for Tabs.
    This also included in our Router Product
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I teach the router product. The tabing option is awesome

George Gerhard

Hey goerge.
    Welcome to the forum

PEACE