586,055 active members*
4,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: mirrors

mirrors

I am currently in the part collecting stage and have gather quite a few parts.

My question is this: I just got my mirrors and lenses in and was wandering how you tell which side of the mirror is the side to use?

Both sides are reflective but one side is the reflective coating which looks shinny and the other is shiny but is threw the backing material, which is a kinda clear lensish looking material (my guess is plastic but don't know).

Don't have a camera here but if pictures are needed I will endeavor to post them tonight.

I was told they will shatter if placed the wrong way (nuts). So if you don't have any idea what your talking about don't post a "guess".
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

don't everybody jump in at once!

I can't deal with this many responses!!!
    thanks
    Michael T.

hi Michael T.

Collecting mirrors is one thing but make sure you have collected the right type of mirrors for your project - CO2 , YAG or others.

Normally the coated face is only on one side. On the other face side and the circumference side it is not coated.

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    don't everybody jump in at once!

I can't deal with this many responses!!!
    S.A.!

Are you talking about mirrors for building your own laser or something? I think in lasers you use front silvered mirrors (or aluminized mirrors). The reason for this is that the transparent material whether it is glass or plastic is not totally transparent at infrared wavelengths; it will absorb the radiant energy in the laser, get hot and shatter.

Incidentally I hope you are keeping your grubby fingers well away the mirror surface and not letting dust on them; I am not sure I would allow a machinist near laser mirrors.

Just to add some extra comment on Geof posting.

Normally you have to clean your mirrors with a high purity acetone (not for plastics lens) after a period of time or when it gets dirty.

For the procedure please refer to IIV website - to lengthy to write down here.

Also note the procedure when handling destroyed lenses and mirrors as poisonous substance is present.

Thanks for the replies.

I figured the clear part was the back side and the really shiny side was the good side, but its always nice to have confirmation.

And Yes I am building a gantry laser for a little engraving and cutting some foam for my R/C airplanes.

Machinist is only one of many hats that I wear!

I actually clean my hands every once in awhile!!!

I usually just spit and rub with any old rag laying around! And darned if that taint good enuf for these danged mirrors! (nuts)
    thanks
    Michael T.

Exclamation Mirrors for Laser

I have got to see a picture of this mirror!!!! there's no way that quality optics rated for co2 laser usage could ever be questioned as to which surface to use. I believe someone out there is selling product under the false pretense that is rated for co2 lasers. This really makes me mad because I'm in the laser optics business. if you would like to see a picture of a quality mirror go to oemoptics.com and look under Universal, then Mirror.

Please let me know when you have a picture

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    I am currently in the part collecting stage and have gather quite a few parts.

My question is this: I just got my mirrors and lenses in and was wandering how you tell which side of the mirror is the side to use?

Both sides are reflective but one side is the reflective coating which looks shinny and the other is shiny but is threw the backing material, which is a kinda clear lensish looking material (my guess is plastic but don't know).

Don't have a camera here but if pictures are needed I will endeavor to post them tonight.

I was told they will shatter if placed the wrong way (nuts). So if you don't have any idea what your talking about don't post a "guess".

granted your mirrors are an order of magnatude better in quality, but the mirror i have is reflective on both sides.

The clear backing was throwing me off, as most mirrors I have seen use an opaque backing so there is no mistaking which side is the best side.

The image quality on the "good side" is just as reflective as the one you showed but the clear side is almost as reflect. But I just had to be sure.

AS far as quality goes I sure if your using or making USA stuff its better and I might upgrade in the future but currently this is a LOW-Buck endeavor until it bears fruit. This is all Chinese stuff.

Otherwise I would just buy a Langolier style engraving laser and be done with it as its the fastest laser engraver I have ever seen! 46k though on the price makes it an expensive toy if you don't have a purpose developed for it yet.
    thanks
    Michael T.