586,112 active members*
3,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach 5" CNC Vise handle/hex/socket is non-standard
Page 1 of 2 12

Tormach 5" CNC Vise handle/hex/socket is non-standard

We have four 1100s, each with 2 Tormach 5" CNC Vises (total of 8). During a move and building renovation, we somehow lost 6 of the vise handles. So I thought "no problem" -- let's get some sockets and make speed handles. But I'm now learning the hex drive on that vise measures 0.570-0.571". 9/16" is 0.562" -- I've tried numerous sockets and only rarely is one oversize enough to (barely) go on one vise (then I tried ordering more of that socket, but the others didn't fit at all). 15mm is 0.590" and pretty sloppy.

Has anyone found another good way to drive the hex on this vise? Or know why they chose 0.570"?

All tips appreciated.
    David
    David Malicky

Re: Tormach 5" CNC Vise handle/hex/socket is non-standard

Did you mention this to the folks at Tormach? This may be something that has slipped by unnoticed and no one has said anything about it until now.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I milled a speed handle like the Gibraltar since no one made one that fit. Pretty easy and worth the programming time since you have so many vises. Two hex shapes in an AL bar. Drill and tap a thread for a free spinning handle if you're fancy. Machine the outside contour if you're super fancy. 5 minute cycle time. Hour to program and set up. In the end 6 will be cheaper than the $30 ea you would pay if someone didake and sell them.

Tormach vises are made by Conquest Industries. It is their "mini magnum" vise.

I have only found a couple retailers besides Tormach who sells them (and neither for a better price): Southern Tool and Penn Tool Co.

You can buy a replacement handle from Southern Tool... but you aren't going to want to at $99 each... those are some nice looking handles!

You might contact Conquest Industries and see if they would give you a discount for ordering 6 vise handles... I think they sell direct, but don't have an online shopping cart.

Machine Vises, Mini Mag Machine Vise, Machining Vises in California
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I also made one similar to the Gibraltar double style, and I think John at NYCNC did a video on making one a couple of years ago.

One word of caution about vise handles without a swivel joint. If you vise hangs out in front of your enclosure, make sure the handle can't contact the enclosure when jogging or referencing X.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by dmalicky View Post
    Has anyone found another good way to drive the hex on this vise? Or know why they chose 0.570"?
    Sounds like a good reason to invest in Tormach's rotary hexagonal broach:

35195 - TTS Rotary Broach Kit

Of course for $624 (Ouch!), it is not really cheaper than buying 6 handles... and the max broach size Tormach sells is 10mm.

Maybe you should just go with WOT and MFChief's plan.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

The Tormach CNC vise is different than the Tormach Machinist vise. It is made 'overseas', not by Conquest.

Try a 15mm deep well socket and a 3/8in drive speed handle.
    That works for me and is very quick.

Have you thought about machining the hexes down to 9/16"?

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    I also made one similar to the Gibraltar double style, and I think John at NYCNC did a video on making one a couple of years ago.
    Terry
    See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtIcUsSJkaw

Thanks, all! I see there are many good solutions -- very helpful. I should have noted our mills have custom table ~enclosures (similar to Tormach's splash guard, but bigger and taller), so the flat 'quick' handles wouldn't work for us. We need something like a lathe chuck wrench (T) or mechanics speed wrench, with ~4" of extension shaft between the handle and socket. Maybe with a long/heavy T handle so we can 'flick' it like a lug wrench. So a socket is ideal to attach to the shaft (and if we make it, steel is best for small diameter and welding). But of course, that could be CNC'd, and even simpler than an alum quick handle.

MikeC, intriguing, but I think that would be more work than making sockets. I've taken apart 1 of the vises to see if we could get more travel out of them (the answer is not much, at most 1/2")... that alone is time consuming. The hex could be machined in-place if clamped in the right positions. But since we have 8 vises and there are 6 index positions for each, it would take a while.

SquibLoad, thanks, I see a 15mm deep 6-point socket is better than the standard ones. It would work but I'm hoping for a higher quality feel. It's a good temporary solution for us, though, thanks.

I also considered expanding a 9/16" 12-point socket with a ~0.575 round mandrel and press. But it would probably crack at the 'points' (thinnest sections).

Looks like we'll be CNCing some steel sockets.
    David Malicky

Or just tighten the vise down. Stand it on end so the hex is pointed up, rotate the whole vise until it is square with table and machine a new smaller hex to known dimension

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wow, 4 1100's
    What do you use them to make?
    I usually hear folks go from tormach to haas

We have four 1100s, each with 2 Tormach 5" CNC Vises (total of 8). During a move and building renovation, we somehow lost 6 of the vise handles. So I thought "no problem" -- let's get some sockets and make speed handles. But I'm now learning the hex drive on that vise measures 0.570-0.571". 9/16" is 0.562" -- I've tried numerous sockets and only rarely is one oversize enough to (barely) go on one vise (then I tried ordering more of that socket, but the others didn't fit at all). 15mm is 0.590" and pretty sloppy.

All tips appreciated.
    David

Hirudin, Wow, thanks!! So it is a standard in Japan -- maybe this explains the vise hex. I tried earlier to search for 14.5mm sockets but didn't find any -- what search string did you use to find them? I see ~15mm sockets are usually made 0.2mm over, and 14.7mm is 0.579", so it should be a pretty good fit. We have plenty to do this summer, so we'll try this first.

WOTDesigns, good idea to stand the vise on end! I considered finding 6 shims to tighten to the index positions -- mounting upright is so much simpler.

CadRhino, these are to teach CNC to engineering students, and for them to make their own parts in design projects. We have a Haas TM-1 but can't afford or fit 4 of them in our space -- it's for bigger jobs. Tormach's 1100 is perfect for us because it's easy to learn, fast to use, stout enough to make real parts, nearly turn-key, compact, and affordable.
    David Malicky

Thanks
    Btw, nycnc's has a video out on making a custom vise wrench. Might be a good project for your students.

Hirudin, Wow, thanks!! So it is a standard in Japan -- maybe this explains the vise hex. I tried earlier to search for 14.5mm sockets but didn't find any -- what search string did you use to find them? I see ~15mm sockets are usually made 0.2mm over, and 14.7mm is 0.579", so it should be a pretty good fit. We have plenty to do this summer, so we'll try this first.

WOTDesigns, good idea to stand the vise on end! I considered finding 6 shims to tighten to the index positions -- mounting upright is so much simpler.

CadRhino, these are to teach CNC to engineering students, and for them to make their own parts in design projects. We have a Haas TM-1 but can't afford or fit 4 of them in our space -- it's for bigger jobs. Tormach's 1100 is perfect for us because it's easy to learn, fast to use, stout enough to make real parts, nearly turn-key, compact, and affordable.

Glad to help! Oddly enough, I think I just did "14.5 socket". I seem to recall doing it a couple times so perhaps the first time looked like it was coming up empty. Maybe I selected a category or something.

... Oh, actually, I see the search I used is in the URL - "14.5mm" socket

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Glad to help! Oddly enough, I think I just did "14.5 socket". I seem to recall doing it a couple times so perhaps the first time looked like it was coming up empty. Maybe I selected a category or something.

... Oh, actually, I see the search I used is in the URL - "14.5mm" socket
    Big help! Thanks for the info, interesting. I see searching amazon for "14.5mm" socket puts those 2 on the first page. But searching amazon for 14.5mm socket doesn't find them at all (in 20 pages).
    David Malicky

That's ****ing annoying, isn't it!? It seems like search engines are only concerned with quantity, not quality. I Googled some of the combinations as well; so many times it seemed to completely ignore the numbers I typed in (14.5 or 37/64) and completely fixate on the word "socket". No, Google, I'm not looking for a light bulb that doesn't contain the string "14.5" in its title or description... that's why I typed in "14.5" instead of nothing.

Try this: Sears.com

Follow up: I ordered the 14.5mm sockets from Japan and received them today.
    4D-14.5 (1/2X14.5MM) - Socket Wrenches - Amazon.com
    It's a good fit to the hex -- a bit of slop (much less than the regular handle), and a normal socket fit. Quality seems fine.
    There are many vendors; I choose 100Ways. Their only goof was they sent four 14.5mm and one 18mm, instead of five 14.5mm.
    I selected standard/free shipping (which the amazon site says will take 4-6 weeks), and got them in 2 weeks. (Expedited shipping was $50.)
    Problem solved -- Thanks again, all, especially Hirudin!

(12.7mm refers to the 1/2" drive, aka 4D):
    David Malicky

Page 1 of 2 12