586,075 active members*
4,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Roughing out for a 3D surface toolpath (Please Help!!!)

Roughing out for a 3D surface toolpath (Please Help!!!)

I've been reading through these posts for the past month or so, while attempting to extend my CAD skills into the CAM/CNC realm. Amazing site to say the least. I can't believe the amount of knowledge floating around this place. Anyway, I am using MCX to mill some fairly simple 3D surfaces. This is almost as bad as learning Pro-E was.

My big question for now is: How do I get a 3D surface toolpath to clear out the stock above the surface before it mills the surface? I thought there would be a way to set depth cuts like with a pocket or contour toolpath but I can't find anything similar. Am I missing something obvious here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

What toolpath are you using ? and could upload your file so we could take a look at what you are trying to achive ?
    Custom/Repair CNC/Machinist
    Mastercam V9.1/X/X2 Mill Lathe Solids

3db
    use surface rough in toolpath that might help you have pocket in there
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Surface rough parallel toolpath, rough parallel parameters tab, cut depths button, select absolute and set top of stock at minimum depth and bottom of surface at maximum. also set max stepdown on parameters tab.
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Thanks for the info guys. the parallel w/depth cuts is the type of thing I was talking about but I can't get it to work with the waterline toolpath. I'll try and post an IGS of the part to better explain it,

I don't have it in front of me to verify, but I think waterline is a finishing toolpath. If so, their may not be an option of depth cuts.
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

surface rough pocket sounds like what you want to use.
    www.cad2cam.net

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Arteman View Post
    surface rough pocket sounds like what you want to use.
    This is what you want to use. Just make sure you create a Boundry or a Bounding Box big enough for your tool to clean up the outside edges of the material.

:cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Try using the Rough Core just go back in to the waterline path change to rough core create a boundry the size of the one you are going to cut and the hight of the excess stock this will remove from there.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

The rough core is a great toolpath too but if you can't get the cut you want in surface high speed toolpath(HST). Go back to the surface rough toolpath.the HST are a very nice option if you have the latest X.
    www.cad2cam.net

As of Mastercam X Mr1 you have the options.But the same can be done with Surface Rough Pocket. Preaty much the same option for the setup.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .