586,080 active members*
3,791 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Using cnc plasma as a shear

i am new to cnc plasma and debating on building a 4x8 plasma table. I would like to be able to take a 4x8 sheet of metal and cut it in half. Is it possible to edge start and edge finish.

Thanks for your help

Re: Using cnc plasma as a shear

in short yes (there is something called a edge start, and its a very common practice when you cut with thick materials )but this topic is more like for plasma cutter section,

the beveling or cleanness of the cut depends on:

1.) material
    2.) material thickness
    3.) cutting speed
    4.) air pressure
    5.) amperage
    6.) table setup
    7.) plasma cutting unit itself.....

so it will be best if you go and ask your plasma cutting unit maker for more details. Also you don't need a 4X8 table for this task. all you need is just a cross bridge and a few support legs for the metal plates that you will be cut with.

What I would like to do is located the plate on the cnc table and cut the metal in the strips i need. I will also use the used the cnc plasma for the standard cnc plasma duty but was just wondering if I could used it as a shear also. My shop is just starting up and I need this machine for double duties till I purchase a shear. I will use candcnc electronics with mach 3 controls.

Thanks

so, what is the thickness of the material to be cut? because for sheets thinner that 6mm you might experience warping due to the heat generated by the plasma...... so it cannot be thin and too narrow at the same time

The key to using a plasma cutter as a shear is that you can cut at plasma speeds and be able to maintain cut height accurately. If the speed is correct, and you are using a good plasma with the correct consumables for the material being cut...there will be no issues with warpage. Edge starting is easier than piercing, and the arc / motion can automatically stop when you run of the edge or the material.

Jim Colt Hypertherm [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by showstopper71z2 View Post
    What I would like to do is located the plate on the cnc table and cut the metal in the strips i need. I will also use the used the cnc plasma for the standard cnc plasma duty but was just wondering if I could used it as a shear also. My shop is just starting up and I need this machine for double duties till I purchase a shear. I will use candcnc electronics with mach 3 controls.

Thanks

It works really well, I also cut sheets in half for easier handling, the way I do it is to make up a job in sheetcam with a single line just over the max sheet width, do this for all the thickness's needed, use pierce height same as cut height and no pierce delay, apply correct tool for each material and save each tap file.

I zero and move up the sheet to desired size and hit run, torch is set to turn off as it runs off the sheet so same file can be used for shorter runs also.

I am planing on using a hypertherm unit. Kerryfisher can you send me one of your job files . I will pm you my email.

Thanks for your help.

I have a 4' by 4' table. I have bought material that was too long to fit into the table. I just load it at an angle. Up on one end and slice it that way. It works fine, but you have to support both the off cut and the angled part on the table or bad things happen. DAMHIKT.
    Lee

It's not a problem at all. I do this all the time to cut sheets in half. As mentioned above, I just program a line and zero my torch right at the edge of the steel. I also program my line length longer so that I make sure the torch cuts the full width.

On my PM45, there is a switch on the front that allows you to make cuts in solid material or switch it and you can cut stuff like expanded material. That way the torch will not loose arc when cutting over air. Like on the very edge of the plate.
    Lee

Thanks for everybody's
    reply.