586,116 active members*
3,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

update procedure?

I'm still running the beta pathpilot and was thinking about updating to 1.8.2. It downloads a "tgp" file. What's the procedure for using this file on the controller?

thanks.

Re: update procedure?

Go to http://www.tormach.com/pathpilot_tracking.html and use the links to download the update plus the release notes (another link on the same page). You copy the update file to a USB stick, apply the updates and reboot. You're done! Everything is pretty well documented in the release notes and the whole job only requires a few minutes.

Just to add to kstrauss's reply... go to the last two pages of this document http://www.tormach.com/uploads/921/S...0615C-pdf.html
    That's the release notes document he is referring to.
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Thank you guys, that went very easily!

One more note for anyone reading this, Tormach recommends rebooting before applying any updates to make sure the the update applies cleanly.

Note: There is nothing wrong if it fails the first time, just reboot and try again. Their update process is literally delivering the entire PathPilot program sub-directory, so you can always reboot and update again to resolve any issues.

Hi Guys.

Regarding the instruction "With the PathPilot controller on and out of Reset mode, go to the Status screen and click the Update button"

If pushing RESET links the controller to the machine, and pushing the ESTOP button shuts down the machine and disconnects it from the controller, Pushing the machine green power on button then means pushing RESET button is needed to reconnect the machine and controller. ...So what exactly is 'out of reset mode" ...? that confuses me. I assume it means not connected...?

but if it means the machine not connected to the controller, then why ESTOP the machine before OK the update as it is already disconnected...? I am obviously missing something basic here but I cant see it.

My update seemed to go fine anyway, but I did not know if my procedure was correct or just lucky......

Keen

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Guys.

Regarding the instruction "With the PathPilot controller on and out of Reset mode, go to the Status screen and click the Update button"

If pushing RESET links the controller to the machine, and pushing the ESTOP button shuts down the machine and disconnects it from the controller, Pushing the machine green power on button then means pushing RESET button is needed to reconnect the machine and controller. ...So what exactly is 'out of reset mode" ...? that confuses me. I assume it means not connected...?

but if it means the machine not connected to the controller, then why ESTOP the machine before OK the update as it is already disconnected...? I am obviously missing something basic here but I cant see it.

My update seemed to go fine anyway, but I did not know if my procedure was correct or just lucky......

Keen
    "Out of Reset mode" = red light on reset not blinking. Or so I've interpreted it, and that seems to work.

PP seems to require the controller interfaced to an operating machine for a lot of things (Mach3 does not). One of the things I miss on PP is Mach's "work offline" option.

Locating the head/spindle at a safe G30 position just prior to an update is probably a good thing, in case things go unexpected.

-uman

Out of reset means the controller and machine are talking. E-stopping it before the update (or any shutdown) is because Tormach doesn't want any stray movements of the machine if something weird happens (electrical noise on the inputs, whatever) while the controller isn't controlling the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    "Out of Reset mode" = red light on reset not blinking. Or so I've interpreted it, and that seems to work.

PP seems to require the controller interfaced to an operating machine for a lot of things (Mach3 does not). One of the things I miss on PP is Mach's "work offline" option.
    So 'out of reset mode' means machine and controller are interfaced or connected. ...OK well if so I did it wrong. Why say 'out of reset mode' then? That's like saying only drive your car when it is out of not running mode. Why not just say only drive your car when its running?

Keen

Thats not what I thought it meant either?? I guess it means the machine is reset then the e stop pressed, then it can be updated??

I have been getting my software updated OK, I guess I need to pay more attention to how I did it?
    mike sr