586,115 active members*
3,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 35 of 107 2533343536374585

Re: OmioCNC report

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    Sorry, I didn't even twig. The driver for the Omio's USB interface seems to completely ignore the ports and pins for the motors and spindle control - one of the reasons I switched to a cnc-drive controller and cheapo bob instead. If you're getting a pulse train on dir/step on the other axes but the dir pin on Z isn't switching, I think you might be looking at a new board. Keep us posted on how you go with Lance...
    I fixed the Z-axis. The output driver for the direction on the Z-axis was not soldered to the circuit board. The soldering on this PCB is just terrible.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Nice find, well done: time to work out where the heck you'd got to before this roadblock and get the momentum up again.

Right, I think I've finally got my head around this. I see the earth terminal from the mains power wire inside the black box is wired straight to the earth in the EMI filter. This then earths the whole black controller box via the emi filters metal casing. I'm planning on running an earth cable from the bolt in the back corner of the t slot bed (next to the exit of the cable chain) out of the enclosure with the other wires, into the black control box through the unused a axis socket hole and bolted down to the emi filter casing. I'll then earth all my shields at that same point.

1. Is this an acceptable way of doing it?

2. Should I also run earth wires from the unused PSU and VFD earth terminals to this point or just leave them as is? The PSU has a metal case so I assume will just pick up the earth through the control box casing?

3. I also assume the earth wire from machine to control box will earth the spindle, making a 4 core cable with earth direct from the spindle to the VFD pointless?

I've found 4 core braided shielded cable in the UK for an acceptable price (less than £15 for enough to do all 3 motors and the spindle) so if it's going to make any difference, it's a tiny drop in the ocean as I'm swapping cabling anyway. I'm thinking its then just a case of crimping a wire onto the end of the braid and running it to the earth point? Dharmic did you manage to reuse all the connectors that came on the standard cables or did you buy new ones?

Hi Mmpie

A general rule is to not simply rely on on part A being bolted to part B: there may be paint or dirt between them. Of course, in many cases it is quite OK if you check the contact surfaces. In some cases in the past where there have been a couple of racks of equipment bolted side by side, the frames have been explicitely linked by heavy 1" wide copper braid with solid bolts to get past the paint job.

What you are describing sound like a 'star earth system', and that is very good. I use a solid brass bolt through the frame for this, with crimped eyelets on the wires.

run earth wires from the unused PSU and VFD earth terminals to this point
    I don't know what PSU you are using, but my first (and 2nd) reaction would be to say 'definitely'. Ordinary mains earth wire would be perfect. If there is an earth connection privided, USE IT.

You might want to 'earth' the spindle to the adjacent frame if there is any doubt about the connection. Someone who used plastic mounting blocks for the spindle had to do this of course. But the screen over the 4-core from the VFD should only be earthed at the VFD end. Don't try to use that as a safety earth as well.

Just a suggestion: if you do not have one already, it would be worth while buying a proper crimp tool for the crimp-on connectors. Ever so useful - also on cars.

Cheers
    Roger

^^ da man.

Find a point at which to drill a hole and run a bolt through the control box, sandpaper or dremel or whatever a clean ring of metal around the hole. Cut the earth wire and crimp an eyelet at each side of the cut, so it comes in with the mains to an eyelet at that bolt, then from a second eyelet on the bolt to the EMI filter. I can't remember whether the VFD is earthed through the EMI filter - if not, run another lead to that stud. PSU earth goes to another eye on the bolt as do your shields coming in. At the moment your USB board is floating and insulated from the case. You could leave it that way or run another line from a GND terminal on the board to the star point too, I'd probably give that a try. The Omios ground the spindle to the chassis so, as Roger suggests, leave the spindle end of the shield disconnected (that'll save you some work anyway) which will give the EMI protection without any chance of ground loops, grounding then happens from the wire you're talking about adding which is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Hi Mmpie

A general rule is to not simply rely on on part A being bolted to part B: there may be paint or dirt between them. Of course, in many cases it is quite OK if you check the contact surfaces. In some cases in the past where there have been a couple of racks of equipment bolted side by side, the frames have been explicitely linked by heavy 1" wide copper braid with solid bolts to get past the paint job.

What you are describing sound like a 'star earth system', and that is very good. I use a solid brass bolt through the frame for this, with crimped eyelets on the wires.

run earth wires from the unused PSU and VFD earth terminals to this point
    I don't know what PSU you are using, but my first (and 2nd) reaction would be to say 'definitely'. Ordinary mains earth wire would be perfect. If there is an earth connection privided, USE IT.

You might want to 'earth' the spindle to the adjacent frame if there is any doubt about the connection. Someone who used plastic mounting blocks for the spindle had to do this of course. But the screen over the 4-core from the VFD should only be earthed at the VFD end. Don't try to use that as a safety earth as well.

Just a suggestion: if you do not have one already, it would be worth while buying a proper crimp tool for the crimp-on connectors. Ever so useful - also on cars.

Cheers
    Roger
    Brilliant, thanks. I'm on the right track then. Regards spindle/VFD - in which case I'll just replace it with a 3 core shielded cable and leave the earth pin on the spindle unplugged as it is currently. I do have one of those beefier ratchet crimp tools and a box of connectors, you're right always comes in handy. With regards the EMI filter case I'm going to bolt my grounds to, it's unfinished raw metal, I'll still rough it up a little for good measure.

Next hurdle is figuring out if I can recycle all the connectors the machine came with or if not - which to buy. I've found the GX16 connectors at the control box end but can't find the flat 4 pin plugs at the motor end. For the spindle I think I'll just take the plug out and run the cable straight into the vfd

^^ da man.

Find a point at which to drill a hole and run a bolt through the control box, sandpaper or dremel or whatever a clean ring of metal around the hole. Cut the earth wire and crimp an eyelet at each side of the cut, so it comes in with the mains to an eyelet at that bolt, then from a second eyelet on the bolt to the EMI filter. I can't remember whether the VFD is earthed through the EMI filter - if not, run another lead to that stud. PSU earth goes to another eye on the bolt as do your shields coming in. At the moment your USB board is floating and insulated from the case. You could leave it that way or run another line from a GND terminal on the board to the star point too, I'd probably give that a try. The Omios ground the spindle to the chassis so, as Roger suggests, leave the spindle end of the shield disconnected (that'll save you some work anyway) which will give the EMI protection without any chance of ground loops, grounding then happens from the wire you're talking about adding which is a good idea.
    Good idea. I was planning on just running anything through the 4th axis cable gap (as I don't use fourth axis) but that way I could just run one wire from the bolt like you say and crimp it onto the wire going from mains earth to emi filter. It's just a spade connector so easy to pull off and add an extra wire in. Keeps thing tidier I guess.

Connectors - they are a pain, they are extra work, they are extra cost ...
    But
    They can be invaluable later on when you are trying to fix a bug. They make sure that you can disconnect something easily, and then reconnect it CORRECTLY!
    All major cables on my machine use connectors.

Cheers
    Roger

Point taken.

On the VFD they're screw terminals so a quick and easy job to unhook them and hook them back up should the need arise, it would then enable me to run my shield all the way back to the VFD rather than just to the socket on the back of the control box. In the case of the small flat plastic plugs at the motor end, would it be ok for me to cut the current wires just short of the connectors and crimp my new wires on to the stubs? Then wrap them in heatshrink. I couldn't find those plugs, they're like PC connectors, so I have to reuse the original ones one way or another. Likewise for the 6 core home switch cable (I'll just extend the first part of that and leave the two original wires going to X and Z switches).

Yep. Again, there's limited value in connecting the shield at the stepper end anyway. I'd run the shield up to just behind the connector, cut it neatly and heatshrink it in place and not bother running the shield past the connector. Back at the control box is a different story, that needs to run through or there's not much point.

Yep. Again, there's limited value in connecting the shield at the stepper end anyway. I'd run the shield up to just behind the connector, cut it neatly and heatshrink it in place and not bother running the shield past the connector. Back at the control box is a different story, that needs to run through or there's not much point.
    So I should run the shield right up to the stepper drivers? In which case I'll probably take the connectors in the back of the box out. The wires have connectors going onto the stepper drivers and at the other end on to the motors anyway should I ever need to unplug anything at either side.

Went to my local electrical wholesalers today, all they had in stock was SY cable (with a steel braid). As I have nothing to do tomorrow I bought it anyway so I could get it done. I know steel isn't anywhere near as conductive as copper but it should help right? Should be enough for the steppers at least? If not it was hardly bank breaking so no big loss.

The other problem is the cores inside the SY are all wrapped in black insulation, no colour coding. Does it matter which of the four wires connects where at either end for the stepper motors/drivers?

Just when I thought I was done with the problems...

They sent me a ER16 collet spindle instead of the advertised ER20. I bought all my tooling ahead of time in ER20.

Mmpie NOOOOOOO - leave the connectors in the back of the box. Replace them with metal shielded ones if you must. You will curse the day you removed them if you do, I've lost count of how many times I've had those leads on and off so I could take the control box away to a work bench to do stuff with it.

Washuu that sucks, can't remember whether 20 vs 15 was a 2kW vs 1.5kW spindle or the 110V vs 240V difference :-(

Washuu that sucks, can't remember whether 20 vs 15 was a 2kW vs 1.5kW spindle or the 110V vs 240V difference :-(
    It has the 2.2kw spindle on 120v. I sent OmioCNC an email. If that is the case the spindle is different for different voltages there should be a big fat disclaimer on their product page. I have a 240v hook up in the garage and I just would have found a new place for the welder to be stored to put the CNC next to the 240v outlet.

It'll be on a bench with access from all sides, so if I do have to open it up it won't have to move anywhere. The only time I'd have to move the box is if I moved the machine, and that just isn't going to happen, I've designed my enclosure around a prime spot where I can vent it straight outdoors. That and there's not really anywhere else for it to go.

What about the wires, do they need matching at either end? Any tips/tricks for getting blank unmarked/uncoloured cables matched up?

The 2200 series are 2.2kw and 1500 series 1.5kw... 800 are 800w spindles. What a nightmare. The Chinese are on holiday as well aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Washuu View Post
    It has the 2.2kw spindle on 120v. I sent OmioCNC an email. If that is the case the spindle is different for different voltages there should be a big fat disclaimer on their product page. I have a 240v hook up in the garage and I just would have found a new place for the welder to be stored to put the CNC next to the 240v outlet.
    Last time I looked, it stated fairly clearly that 120V spindles were ER16, but I just looked again and now it doesn't say anything about 120V spindles being ER16.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    Last time I looked, it stated fairly clearly that 120V spindles were ER16, but I just looked again and now it doesn't say anything about 120V spindles being ER16.
    From Lance this morning: "We upgraded spindle to ER20 for 110V version X6-2200L-USB from August , I'm sorry , we'll send a new ER20 spindle to you. we've just shipped it from factory, it'll arrive at our freight forwarder on Wednesday, then ship to you by DHL."

I bought my machine in September so I most likely was accidentally sent old stock.

From Lance this morning: "We upgraded spindle to ER20 for 110V version X6-2200L-USB from August , I'm sorry , we'll send a new ER20 spindle to you. we've just shipped it from factory, it'll arrive at our freight forwarder on Wednesday, then ship to you by DHL."

I bought my machine in September so I most likely was accidentally sent old stock.
    Happy days, at least the customer service is there. You've got yourself a free spindle then? That's £100 or so (or equivalent) on the bay for your troubles.

Will the VFD work out the box with both spindles? The ER16 one is the 1.5kw isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    Happy days, at least the customer service is there. You've got yourself a free spindle then? That's £100 or so (or equivalent) on the bay for your troubles.

Will the VFD work out the box with both spindles? The ER16 one is the 1.5kw isn't it?
    I assume I will have to sent the other back, but they have not indicated that yet.

Nope, what I have here is a 2.2kw 110v ER16 spindle. https://imgur.com/a/CZvmM

I assume I will have to sent the other back, but they have not indicated that yet.

Nope, what I have here is a 2.2kw 110v ER16 spindle. https://imgur.com/a/CZvmM
    Their mistake, more trouble than it's worth IMO. If they don't use the 2.2kw er16 spindles anymore it's worthless stock anyway. Besides it'd probably cost them as much as it's worth to have it collected and sent back to China.

Page 35 of 107 2533343536374585