586,058 active members*
4,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

yaskawa help please

I was able to get a set of 3 yaskawa R04MA2OE. anyway i found the specs on it here

http://www.yaskawa.com/site/dmservo....1000&Expand=19

anyway the one thing i can not find on there is the pinouts for the encoder on it. I have searched elsewhere and can not find them. if anyone can help please on this it would be appreciated.

also one more tiny question, can these work with the gecko 320 drives? i believe they can but verification on that would be nice.

thanks all

Read the specifications....the pin outs are listed

http://www.yaskawa.com/site/dmservo.nsf/link2/TKUR-5ELJEF/$file/TSE-C253-20G.pdf

What the max. current on the 320's.....should work.....forgot to check if the encoder outputs were single ended or ??....anyway....

thanks very much for looking at that, i looked at that document i bet 20 times and missed it every time. Now i have yet one other tiny problem. while looking at the specs it gives pinouts for 6 colors of wires

red, blue, yellow, green, white, black

problem is i have 2 more wires that i do not se listed

white/green and white/blue

thanks again for the help, maybe i can get these bad boys up and spinning correctly before the weekend is out.

edit: for an fyi the pinouts i was looking at were on page 9 in acrobat reader on that document

Can you tell which encoder you have? The single ended (Open Collector) or the Balanced one?

Also take an VOM and see if you can measure any common point between the white/grn and the white/blue and any of the other wires....reverse the polarity of the VOM and measure in both directions.

Can you do it by deduction? Possible leads on a differential encoder: A,A-,B,B-,Z,Z-, +Vcc, common, ground.

Karl

ViperTX: as for telling which encoder i have, sorry i can not tell. mostly because i'm still new at this and learning big time. I'll check with a VOM later to see what i can come up with.

Kart T: i would have no clue where to start to look on something like that with an encoder or how to tell.

Does the encoder have any P/N on the cover or under the cover?

ViperTX: thank you for telling me to take the casing off of the encoder. I have been a little sketchy until this point about doing so. I did so carefully and came up with colors and stuff to match, yeah, i still have questions. BTW thanks a million for the help. anyway here is what i am seeing marked on the encoder and the matching wires

A Blue
    A- White
    B Yellow
    B- Yellow White
    Z Green
    Z- Green White
    5V Red
    0V Black

ok, now i'm a bit confused on what the A/B/Z stand for, also is the 0V a true 0V or a ground? the only reason i ask that is i've been in arguements with EE guys before and from what they say there is a huge difference. I looked at the diagram in the gecko section for the 320 but i get wicked confused looking at that thing.

thanks for the support again.

edit: I guess a better way of what i am asking here is since i do not know what these encoder markings mean is there a page on this forum or elsewhere that i could read up on it? I dont want to be that guy that is just tell me tell me, i dont mind learning but sometimes finding the pages with the correct info on items can be a pita

A is one of the encoder signals....A bar or -A is it's inverse....A and B and the bars give you the quadrature outputs....Z ...hmmmmm...I'll look at the spec....it is most likely an index pulse.....go to the website that have the encoders......usdigital.com renco.com they have nice data sheets.

OK, i think i might have it. i was getting confused because i was thinking i needed to use all the data lines for the encoder but it appears i only use 4 on the encoder and 2 on the motor. I have attatched a very crude drawing if you could take a look at it and tell me if it appears correct or not it would be appreciated.

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails setup.jpg  

Yes, the encoder, motor and power supply are connected correctly....I didn't look at the step/dir connections.

I just looked at the current requirements for the encoder...it's a max of 150 ma and the Gecko can only supply a max of 50ma....so, read the Gecko manual....they recomment that you connect an external supply to the encoder to supply the 5 VDC....you just have to make sure your external supply's negative terminal is connected to the Gecko gnd.....and not the Gecko's common.

would the chassis of the gecko be considered the gecko ground or are you refering to the ground that the gecko is connected to?

thanks again

I'm sure if the gecko chassis is the same as the gecko ground.

Basically tie the external +5 VDC power supply ground to the ground of the other supplies and to the encoder's black wire (encoder ground). Take the +5 line to encoder's red wire.