586,047 active members*
3,734 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC electronics parallel problem?

Hello !I was playing around with my cnc and sudden;y it stopped working...i tried to find what it is and fount out that it is a fried HC14AG chip on the breakout board...i am now trying to replace it i also checked the parallel port to see if there is a problem there...i followed a video i found on youtube CNC Electronics 5 -Testing the Parellel Port.wmv - YouTube and started to check the pins.All of them give a 5 v outpout when pressing the right or left button i dont remeber which and when pressing the other it give 0.7 in some and in some others higher rates such as 1.5volts or even 2.3 volts...So my question is is the parallel port that fried the breakout board
    ?Should i change the pc with something else?please reply me and thanks in advance or your help!

Re: CNC electronics parallel problem?

Parallel port can not fry your BOB, check the power supply or input wiring. The voltages you are getting from paraport are all good, so no need to replace the computer.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tommylight View Post
    Parallel port can not fry your BOB, check the power supply or input wiring. The voltages you are getting from paraport are all good, so no need to replace the computer.
    Tom
    Thanks tommy!!i wiil try to find what is connected wrong...i didnt connect it cause i dont know how to..the person tgat did it said that the plans from tha manufacturer were wrong so i am worried about what he did he told something about connecting the two power supplies gnd

Any progress?

So my friend Tommy thanks for asking!I am thinking thatr when the chip burned i had the acceleration too high!Maybe this made the motors act like generators and it fried the chip....in the meanwhile i am waiting for the chip from china so as to replace it...i really dont know alot about the cnc electronics and in the new cnc that i am building i will be in trouble cause i would like to place limit switches...Also the i heard that the electronics must be wired with a spoecial wire and i think mine are with typical wire electricias use...i am thinking of taking a picture of my electronics so a s to show it to you...would be any useful? Thanks alot for your help and i am sorry that i dont reply asap cause i am not receiving a notification from cnczone that someone answered in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by pikolo View Post
    So my friend Tommy thanks for asking!I am thinking thatr when the chip burned i had the acceleration too high!Maybe this made the motors act like generators and it fried the chip....in the meanwhile i am waiting for the chip from china so as to replace it...i really dont know alot about the cnc electronics and in the new cnc that i am building i will be in trouble cause i would like to place limit switches...Also the i heard that the electronics must be wired with a spoecial wire and i think mine are with typical wire electricias use...i am thinking of taking a picture of my electronics so a s to show it to you...would be any useful? Thanks alot for your help and i am sorry that i dont reply asap cause i am not receiving a notification from cnczone that someone answered in this thread...
    Yes it would help, do some close ups of the wiring and power supplies so i can try to figure out the reson for burning the chips.
    Tom

so i tried to take some shots right now....i think it is impossible for someone to anderstand how this wiring is done but ofcource i am willing to try and take better shots or even make it more clear if you ask me for specifications...i know nothing about wiring but maybe i can see where the wires lead to.....in the system i have a second power supply 5v... http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ikolo335/9.jpg
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...kolo335/10.jpg
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ikolo335/8.jpg
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ikolo335/7.jpg
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ikolo335/6.jpg
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ikolo335/5.jpg
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ikolo335/2.jpg
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ikolo335/3.jpg
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ikolo335/1.jpg

I checked the pictures and it looks all good.
    The only possible problem are the power supplies, i really do not trust those cheap Chinese SMPS.
    I have seen several of them made by HOROZ spontaneously combusted with lots of smoke and fire and other special effects, they all had the same problem : burning the choke ( inductors ) on the secondary side. This was with very light loads so they really messed up the frequency/inductance math.
    The solution: I try to use original mobile phone chargers, BUT no counterfeit since they give way more than 5V. ONLY original samsung on motorola or nokia.
    They are completely isolated, so they are perfect for BOB supply.
    Regards,
    Tom

the 5 v power supply i have bought it from my country the other bigger powwer supply is the chinnese one!You are the man!!How did you managed to undestand what is going on with so many cables?You are awsome!!thanks!!!If you check in the photo with the breakout board i have a bigger chip on that supposed to be the same as hc14ag but it didnt work the motors dont move with it....do you know why?

More info:
    What software=> increase the step timing!!! it is absolutely important that you do this, those are chinese BOB and drives and they have slow optocouplers so they need longer signals.
    If after this the motors wont move, remove the BOB and connect the drives directly to paraport one by one so you know that they are functional. The drives should have optocouplers also so the timing should be longer.
    Try that and report back.
    Tom

Hello tommylight !Sorry for my late answer!Yesterday i have colmpleted the momus cnc the mechanical parts and also placed the belts...i fixed the bob by replacing the chip hc14ag i connected the breakout board to the system and to the pc...the motors locked ok but the only motore that was able to move a little was the z axis!It was trying to move but i was pressing page up and it was going up and also when pressing page down it was moving also up|!After doing this for some time the z axis stopped moving too..!Now they are staying in locked position!I am curius is the bob or the pc...it is certainly one of the two cause i have cheked the dm and the motors and they are working...I forgor to mention that when i cheked the pc with the method described in the video before the problem occur it gave me v when pressing right and volts when pressing left...now it gives me v when pressing right and when pressing left....sometimes also ..3v...it should give 0...Id it a faulty bob?or a faulty pc?

Find an LED diode and connect it directly to paraport pin 2 and ground, press left or right arrow, it should light a bit, if not reverse the LED pins. do the same on pin 3, it should light brightly when presing one of the arrows and not light at all when pressing the other arrow.
    Get rif of the BOB, it is a 10$ piece of equipment that can destroy your paraport and consequently the pc, or drive inputs, all much more expensive than the BOB. Get rid of it, do not use it.
    Wire your drives directly to paraport.
    End of problems..........hopefully .
    Regards,
    Tom

Tommylight i would like to know how to connect the bob to the drives directly? i connect every pin to pin? for example pin 2 to pin 2 of the parallel and pin 3 to pin 3? the gnd and the 5v where do i connect them?i tried yesterday to connect poin 2 to parallels pin 2 nad the motor start moving but only to one direction when i connected the pin 3 to pin 3 nothing happened ....after that i treid it one more time and when connecting the pin 2 to pin 2 it started moving without pressing any arrow key....thanks for your answeres...you make my life a lot easier cause i know nothing...

@pikolo
    NO BOB! remove the bob, do not use the bob. non usare la bob.
    paraport=pin2==>drive=step pin
    paraport=pin3==>drive=dir pin
    and so on.
    Regards,
    Tom