586,655 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

router from bits and pieces

This is my first wood router built primarily from scrounged materials. Total cost including a HobbyCNC board and power supply was $400. cutter swept area is 33" by 33" with about 6" usable Z axis. 150 oz. surplus steppers drive 1/2" by 10 acme screws at a max speed of 87 ipm. (I'm limited to about 30 ipm due to the free 440 watt trim router in use which bogs down over that speed).

The gantry is solid aluminum and weighs 50 lbs. while the torsion box consists of 3/8" and 1/2" aluminum plate; all this sets on a stand made of 2" square steel tubing. Note the 4" thick clad enclosure whch measures 6 feet high by 5 feet wide. ( free material from a torn down warehouse) Great for sound and dust reduction. So far the machine seems to be performing well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails routerbridge.jpg   routerdoor.jpg   routerenclosure.jpg   routerworking.jpg  

Nice!
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Very impressive indeed. Some closeup pics would be cool.

Jason

i love the "router house" get a good blower to suck the dust outside and you'd have a really nice clean place...
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Very nice.