586,106 active members*
3,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bringing a SL3A back to life

I bought a SL3A recently at auction

We pulled all the boards out in the left hand side of the cabinet, when it was first turned on we were getting red led's lit on each board. After cleaning the contacts on the board that has the battery, and reseating the other boards, all the leds are not lit.

We have reseated all the connectors that we can see. We're going to pull all the relays and test those next.

When we power up we see this on the screen. We can't get it to change by manipulating buttons/switches etc.

Attachment 286048

We don't have any parameters for the machine yet, even if we did we can't (yet) enter them manually

Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm assuming it's either the screen, or it's board.

I don't have any documentation other than some schematics/parts manual/operators manual.

Thanks for any help

Re: Bringing a SL3A back to life

the screen isn't needed to manually move the machine so if you can't get it to move or do anything it's certainly not the screen.
    without parameters it's not going to do anything anyway, regardless of even if it is 100% working.
    its a pretty old machine so I would guess if there are no alarms and nothing on the screen then the CPU isn't running and you
    have a board problem..... although it can easily be a power supply problem (several voltages are required for proper operation)
    what Fanuc System is it? I'm guessing 6T, 5T or 3T?

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    the screen isn't needed to manually move the machine so if you can't get it to move or do anything it's certainly not the screen.
    without parameters it's not going to do anything anyway, regardless of even if it is 100% working.
    its a pretty old machine so I would guess if there are no alarms and nothing on the screen then the CPU isn't running and you
    have a board problem..... although it can easily be a power supply problem (several voltages are required for proper operation)
    what Fanuc System is it? I'm guessing 6T, 5T or 3T?
    Fordav11, thanks for replying

The control is a Yasnac 2000b.

I realise it needs parameters, the problem is I don't have parameters, but if/when I get parameters I would need to enter them using the keyboard. But with the screen not working I wouldn't be able to enter them manually.

I agree that without loading the parameters there isn't much hope in proceeding, or finding out what's wrong with the machine.

It's unlikely I could get my hands on a tape with the parameters.

So far I've struck out with Yasnac/Mori and Cnczone in trying to get parameters.

If I had more documentation I might be able to figure out what's going on. I was hoping somebody might have had this happen to them before. There's some parts on ebay I might invest some money in, that's the next step, I just want to avoid blindly spending money blindly chasing faults.

my guess is you have a board problem. the only way to resolve that is to either get them repaired (which will cost big dollars) or buy some working boards and replace them (which will cost but probably not as much as a repair because the repair work is extremely time consuming and difficult and thus the cost is high).
    you may be able to find a repairer but the cheaper option is to buy some working boards and replace them.... if you can find working 30 year old boards ;-)
    then after replacing, if the machine is working as expected you will see something on screen.
    you can check the screen is working. look at the back of the tube. if there is an orange glow coming from it then your screen is working. if no orange glow your screen is bad too.
    regardless do not touch the back parts of the screen with anything because there are dangerous voltages present, even on a dead screen.

the other option is to retro-fit another more modern control and replace the screen with an LCD. it just depends on how much money you want to spend.... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    you may be able to find a repairer but the cheaper option is to buy some working boards and replace them.... if you can find working 30 year old boards ;-)
    then after replacing, if the machine is working as expected you will see something on screen.
    you can check the screen is working. look at the back of the tube. if there is an orange glow coming from it then your screen is working. if no orange glow your screen is bad too.
    regardless do not touch the back parts of the screen with anything because there are dangerous voltages present, even on a dead screen.

the other option is to retro-fit another more modern control and replace the screen with an LCD. it just depends on how much money you want to spend.... ;-)
    The screen isn't a CRT it's voltage is probably 2-5vdc

Agreed it's probably a board problem

your first post mentions the word 'screen'. in CNC terms that means a CRT.
    if you mean the 7-segment LED display, its likely 12V or 24V.
    2-5V is just hilarious.

So after spending some time reseating/cleaning boards etc, the LED display works ok now.

I'm getting an error code 8.1 which is a CPU error.

So plan is to replace the 8080 CPU, and if that doesn't work, start replacing the other IC's on the board. Will not be too much work. Hopefully that will get it up and running, and then onto the next fault!

if you are seeing an error code that means the CPU is working, since without it there would be no program running and therefore no error-checking.
    your fault is more likely bad RAM. its the 1st place to check with any old electronics, regardless of what it is. 2nd most common problem is bad EPROM, 3rd is bad connections (including bad sockets), 4th is bad logic.
    if you don't have advanced electronics board-level repair skills and specialized equipment it's unlikely you'll get past the 1st check. you have a 30+ year old machine you need to get expert help before you make it worse (I have seen this so many times I could write a book about it).