586,112 active members*
3,095 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

spindle speeds

Hi guys, I have a new trm with a 4000 rpm spindle running single phase in my garage. Today when I was cutting some allum the spindle started to wander about 40 to 60 rpm. It would go from 3300 to 3350 or 3270 (roughly). When I would chenge the spindle spped on the knob it would do the same at the new speed +- 40 to 60. when I ran it at 4000 (with the knob) it seemed solid. what would cause this. Could it just be a voltage surge or something (seperate from my machine) The x and y axis were running fine

Mark

Just an idea...but I had a similar problem (not exact)

I was advised to check to see if this problem went away if I disconnected the RS232, and it did.

The service manager at my dealership said that [some] Fadals may have issues if left plugged into an RS232.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by fpworks View Post
    Just an idea...but I had a similar problem (not exact)

I was advised to check to see if this problem went away if I disconnected the RS232, and it did.

The service manager at my dealership said that [some] Fadals may have issues if left plugged into an RS232.

Justin
    mine is and I will give that a try

thanks

Mark

If the inverter has encoder feedback(closed loop), then the encoder might be causing the problem.
    First check that it is very clean and adjusted properly(on top of spindle motor) and that your fan is clean and working.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    If the inverter has encoder feedback(closed loop), then the encoder might be causing the problem.
    First check that it is very clean and adjusted properly(on top of spindle motor) and that your fan is clean and working.

thanks Andy, it is still under warranty (1 month or so) so I made an appointment to have a tech look at it on manday althout it seems to intermittant so hopefully it will do it when he is here. I cannot figure out why it is intermittant

mark