586,104 active members*
3,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

PathPilot Software Update - v1.9 (2080 kb)

PathPilot Software Update - v1.9 (2080 kb)
    Please see SB0046: Release Notes for PathPilot - v1.9 for install instructions and software revision information.
    Revision Date: 07/10/15

David

Re: PathPilot Software Update - v1.9 (2080 kb)

Includes a couple things people here have been asking for:

#767: Mill/Lathe- Filechooser enhancement: Should support details view (or small icons view)
    #955: Mill - Tool Change: Add tool description to tool change message (e.g. “Insert tool #4 (description) press Cycle Start to continue”)
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Hi I just updated to 1.9 and I have a program I can't run ?
    It was running fine in Pathpilot 1.72
    Now when I try to run it is says bug failure near line 0 1>:0 and the program won't run ? any suggestions ?

So post the first 5 lines of you g-code for us to look at.

"bug failure"? Is that the exact error code it gives?

Did you update straight from 1.7.2 to 1.9? Or did you apply the 1.8.2 update in between? I know you are supposed to be able to skip updates, but who knows?

In the absence of any concrete suggestions from linux guru's, I would try applying the 1.7.2 update to roll-back the version, and verify your code now works. Then apply the 1.8.2 update, and check if the code works, then apply the 1.9 update and check again. Not as much work as it sounds since it only takes about 3 minutes to do the update. Plus, it is better than waiting until Monday for Tormach to be open.
    Tim

Hi
    Thank you for your reply, the reason I would like the 1.9 to work is that the we use 4th axis and up until 1.9 the A axis moves very very slow. and it was working in version 1.72

Here is the coder error I am now getting: "BUG: remap_level <0:-1"

Here is the first lines of the code:

S8000 M3 M8
    G01 A 0.0000 F50
    G01 X -0.5150 Y 0.0000 F12
    Z .3000 F12
    Z .0500 F4
    Z 0.0000 F1.5
    Z -.0250 F1
    Z 0.5 F4
    G01 X -0.6000 F4
    Z 0.0000 F1.5
    Z -.0300 F1
    G02 I.085
    G01 Z-.0590 F1
    G02 I.085

Any help is appreciated.

Wow I'm lost, I have no clue how to even operate this version. And I used the pervious version on a couple awesome projects with over 30 different parts. Guess I better read the manual on how to set tool offsets and work offsets figure out what I'm doing wrong. Or roll back to previous version and continue working with the procedures I used before.

I ran a couple of simple parts without a hitch, no A axis though.

edit: I really like the list in the file chooser though!!
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I ran a couple of simple parts without a hitch, no A axis though.
    Ok the manual is no help. So what is procedure for setting z height with a hamier probe? I am lost and I have made hundreds of different parts and now cant even set z.
    What am I missing here? Its like I don't even understand how to operate my mill. lol

Set it as Tool 0, hit MG G43, touch off the top of the part, hit the Zero Z-Axis button?

Or at least that is what I do with 1.8.2. What changed?

I would load it to find out, but at least two posts now make me think I should be waiting until 1.9.2....
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by beck2595 View Post
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply, the reason I would like the 1.9 to work is that the we use 4th axis and up until 1.9 the A axis moves very very slow. and it was working in version 1.72

Try some g-code that doesn't use the A axis (fourth axis) and see if it still faults.

Also, why aren't you using the safety block" at the start of your code? The lines that set all the defaults:

N2 G90 G80 G40 G54 G20 G17 G50 G94 G64 (SAFETY BLOCK)
    N5 G90 G20
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Ok the manual is no help. So what is procedure for setting z height with a hamier probe? I am lost and I have made hundreds of different parts and now cant even set z.
    What am I missing here? Its like I don't even understand how to operate my mill. lol
    I dont use the Hamier, I use an indicator to set my Z height, I use this as tool 1, select tool 1, touch off on the face of the work, reset zero, and it was good to go.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I dont use the Hamier, I use an indicator to set my Z height, I use this as tool 1, select tool 1, touch off on the face of the work, reset zero, and it was good to go.
    When I do this and press the zero button it does not zero, it displays the height of the hamier probe that I set in tool table not zero. Pressing zero x or zero y and they zero those values, press zero z and it displays the value set in tool table not zero. I was very carful and installed the software 2 different times with exact same results. Also I cant stop a program to set a work offset and restart the program, this generates an error and the program resets or locks up. I keep thinking pebkac error but I have been doing all these exact operations for months. Not like I am a new user The mill gets couple hours of use every single day on a wide variety of parts and setups.
    Guess I need to revise my procedure manual, my rockets are now exploding on the launch pad. Darn I was getting most of them into space before.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think it is expecting you to select the workpiece zero with tool #0. Touching off any other tool and pushing the "zero Z" button will reset the workpiece zero based upon the height offset of the tool you selected. So the DRO will then display your z-axis height as being the height offset of the tool you just touched off.
    Tim

Hmm, I installed 1.9 a few days ago and machined a multi-sided part this morning with no issues. I did verify the version as I now have a "details" view (to use Windows language) in the file picker, a very nice modification!

MD - I don't quite understand your issues.

I was able to use the tool table as normal when setting up all of my one-off tools (3 different drill bits and a 4fl ball mill I don't normally keep in my tool rack). I normally enter the tool number on the first screen in the lower right, then select the offsets screen (keeps me from scrolling around looking for the tool number). Then I simply enter the offset or click the usb cable button if I have it hooked up.

For my Haimer, I just make sure the work offset is configured right (ie: G59), then manually enter T99 in the DRO on the main screen. Then I touch off x,y,z and click the zero axis buttons. Same workflow still worked flawless for me this morning.

Are you sure you have referenced all axes of the machine prior to touching off x,y,z zeros?

I plan to submit the following to Tormach.

Bugs I noticed:
    Feed rate DRO seemed to stick at 26 IPM when commanded (and i believe running at) 60 IPM. Dragging the feed rate override did in fact slow down / speed up the feed rate, but the DRO still showed 26 IPM.

Enhancements I would like to see:
    It would be nice to have some kind of "summary" view on the left side of the g-code with hyperlinks to all lines with tool changes. This would make flipping parts and generally going through code sooo much easier, especially since the "stop" button causes the code window to reset to line 1.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    When I do this and press the zero button it does not zero, it displays the height of the hamier probe that I set in tool table not zero. Pressing zero x or zero y and they zero those values, press zero z and it displays the value set in tool table not zero. I was very carful and installed the software 2 different times with exact same results. Also I cant stop a program to set a work offset and restart the program, this generates an error and the program resets or locks up. I keep thinking pebkac error but I have been doing all these exact operations for months. Not like I am a new user The mill gets couple hours of use every single day on a wide variety of parts and setups.
    Guess I need to revise my procedure manual, my rockets are now exploding on the launch pad. Darn I was getting most of them into space before.
    MD,
    At times I have a problem getting the tool heights to zero when hitting the zero axis button, it will change to the tool height, not zero as it should, this has happened since day one for me. I know it does this and I just exit the program, restart and everything works fine after that, this is an intermittent problem.

I had a glitch while running a program with the axis readouts not reading correctly, kind of like they were out of sync? The program ran correctly and finished, just the readouts were not reading correctly, a restart fixed this problem too.

I will add that Path Pilot has not made a screwup machining a part yet!!

I do not leave the computer on all the time now, I restart when I get ready to use it.

I dont think this is a pathpilot problem, I think its computer/ubuntu related, as the program ran fine. It reminds me of a usb port that it lost occasionally with Mach 3/Windows.
    mike sr

I will keep the version I am using for now. As shown in another thread I made a couple of vises complete with a dozen different jaw options. After refining a good process I had no problem cranking out any number of parts. I Cant deal with the changing behavior of the program each time there is a bug release. For me its all about process. I develop the method and or process based on how things work or operate. Refine it and build on it. Then I can take on complex projects and operations with little effort and get 99.9% results with no crashed tools or other problems." I DONT MILL AIR " I take my cam programs from computer to controller and make what I want the 1st time with 100% confidence. If this changes every month then I will be chasing my tail at mill and not making my designs. I can always use mach I have huge amount of experience with multi offset programs with no problems at all I have hundreds of parts done in mach also it takes like 5 minutes to change disk out and switch cables.

Quote Originally Posted by wtopace View Post
    Enhancements I would like to see:
    It would be nice to have some kind of "summary" view on the left side of the g-code with hyperlinks to all lines with tool changes. This would make flipping parts and generally going through code sooo much easier, especially since the "stop" button causes the code window to reset to line 1.
    The version I have now does not reset to line 1! Stays in exact position.
    So this would not be an enhancement but a roll back

I would not have expected any changes to the work offset or tool length offset workflow between 1.8.2 and 1.9. Of course bugs can be uncovered or introduced and if anyone can report a set of steps to show the problem, ideally to the Tormach Pathpilot Software Centre webpage as well as here, that would be very useful.

The movie at
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EIQo8g4RVQ
    shows a variety of work offset setting methods, including the Haimer.

There is a companion one for Tool Length Offsets at
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoIB_Fatt44

John Prentice

Quote Originally Posted by beck2595 View Post
    Hi

Here is the first lines of the code:

S8000 M3 M8
    G01 A 0.0000 F50
    G01 X -0.5150 Y 0.0000 F12
    Z .3000 F12
    Z .0500 F4
    Z 0.0000 F1.5
    Z -.0250 F1
    Z 0.5 F4
    G01 X -0.6000 F4
    Z 0.0000 F1.5
    Z -.0300 F1
    G02 I.085
    G01 Z-.0590 F1
    G02 I.085

Any help is appreciated.
    This snippet of code, with an M30 added to end it, runs fine for me on PP 1.9.

John Prentice

Hi John

Thank you vey much for trying the code, it is weird I have several 4th Axis programs and most works fine, but I also have some very simple one ( including the one you tried) that doesn't work.
    It says near line 0 so I assume it sees a failure in the start of the program? , so weird, not sure what to do about it, I will contact Tormach today and post if I get a solution.

Page 1 of 2 12