586,094 active members*
3,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Opinion on a Gantry CNC setup

Opinion on a Gantry CNC setup

Hey everyone,

Need a wise opinion. We have a large 5'x6'gantry setup. Evolved from an art restoration laser system. Theunit has two Y steppers and one X stepper. It has limit switches forX, no problem. But for Y it only has one limit switch on the righthand screw. Am running three separate stepper controllers, one foreach motor.

And this is how it was designed, so thinking why changewhat's been working?

Upstream of the controllers is what needs to bedesigned and built. I have a PC already running Mach3, and aLeafboy77 3 axis BOB. Here's the opinion question. Is it ok torun both Y steppers and controllers off of the Y signal output fromthe BoB? Especially considering there is only one set of limitswitches so any kind of auto home/alignment/gantry square functionwas never even a thought in the original design, so negating any needto run both Y steppers separately, Y and A. Would two motorsnecessarily get out of step being driven off the same BoB output?

Thanks,

Pete

Re: Opinion on a Gantry CNC setup

My Warthog 4x4 CNC router is currently wired with both X axis steppers into one driver. I have never seen it run myself as it is a rebuild project too. I do know that as long as the driver is strong enough amperage wise to run both of the steppers you OK, not the best. For an optimal set up you should have a driver for each stepper. AS to the limit switch, I am very surprised you don't have one for each end of the gantry. I have a total of six limit switches on my machine. I would look at adding an additional limit switch........

Re: Opinion on a Gantry CNC setup

Chinese Machines (from what I have heard and asked about), don't use 2 limits as the controls can't drive each of the dual axis motors at the same time. So, they (apparently) have bolts on on side of the table to allow a square reference to be adjusted, with the motors off. Turn motors off, move to hit bolts by hand, turn on motors again and you are square (until you're not)......probably works OK, slightly more tedious than hitting a home button. An option perhaps.